Scamp performance vs Potter p15

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

tony lang
New Contributor

Scamp performance vs Potter p15

Post by tony lang »

Hi All,

I'm tossing up between scamp & the potter p15 & would appreciate feedback from owners or people that have experience with both.

Primarily I'd be using the boat for day sailing & would like reasonable performance/speed along with seaworthiness & ease of use/rigging up etc.
I'd be sailing in sheltered waters up to around 20knts.
I've had experience with lug rigs & like them but am not adverse to a sloop rig.

Cheers,

Tony Lang
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp performance vs Potter p15

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

The SCAMP is fun and easy to sail. They are a breeze from trailer to sailing, too. And, for daysailing, a SCAMP has more cockpit room. There is a boat review in a somewhat recent SCA comparing SCAMP, Montgomery 15, and WWP15, you'll want to read that.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Tony, having owned both boats, I have some limited experience to share. With so many hobbies, I can't say I fully understand either boat.

That said, here's my experience:

They both launch and rig fairly fast. They are both easy to tow, easy to store and easy to work on. They are both small enough to man handle around the dock. They are both a lot of fun to sail in protected waters. I would suspect the P15 would point a little higher into the wind. The Potter offers more cover under the cabin. Many have slept on their P15, I never did (don't know that I would have felt safe enough on my Potter to sleep on it.) The Scamp has a much larger, longer and more comfortable cockpit (even without the foot well installed). The Scamp offers a ton more storage (enough to voyage for extended periods), the P15 was much more limited. The Scamp is recoverable from a capsize (I never capsized my P15, but I'm not confident I could have recovered her). Some report not being able to recover their P15 after capsize, due to it's hard chined hull shape and retracting CB. The P15 derives all its ballast from the 80 lb. galvanized steel CB. In contrast, the Scamp utilizes approx. 200 lb. of ballast between the CB and water ballast. Hence the Scamp feels much more stable. With practice you can self right and self recover a Scamp, even in heavy weather. I therefore feel she's a much safer boat to sail.

Summary: I really enjoyed both boats, but feel much more capable and confident in the Scamp design. I feel so confident about the Scamp design, that I'm trying my hand at building my second Scamp.
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

SCAMP. better sea boat. larger more comfortable cockpit.

P14/15 provides you with a cabin ... though the cabin is very small and bi-sected by the centerboard trunk and compression post. i found the cabin uncomfortable and last time i tried to get into the cabin of one i wasn't able to do it easily. the P14/15 will turtle and cannot be self-rescued.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Post by Bchrovers »

I have a SCAMP and love it, so probably not the most objective person on the topic.

That said, I had the opportunity to sail a friends Potter last last year and was shocked at the difference. The Potter did not feel any where near as solid as the SCAMP. In fact it felt down right flimsy to me. In regards to the cabin, it is really small. I much prefer my large cockpit with the ability to sleep under a tent.

In regards to sailing performance, the conditions were not such that I could get a really good comparison of that. There are a number of both boats spread across the country, so my advice would be to get a ride on both and see which you like better. I think you will see they are dramatically different boats and your choice will probably become easier once you sail each of them.

Good luck
Marty
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

For what its worth I have sailed both boats and there is really no comparision. SCAMP is a better boat for the reasone cited in the above posts.
tony lang
New Contributor

Post by tony lang »

Thanks everyone,
I've gone for the Scamp & placed an order with Gig Harbour for one of their fibreglass models. It will be the 1st GH Scamp in Australia, I believe. There are a number built from plans, but no fibreglass. Can't wait!
TL.
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Post by Bchrovers »

Congrats Tony! I believe you have made a great choice and will be very pleased with the boat. How long to get one to Australia?

Marty
tony lang
New Contributor

Post by tony lang »

Hi Marty,
Apologies for not replying sooner. GH Boats has finished my Scamp. It has been dropped off at the depot to begin its shipping voyage to Australia.
If all shipping connections line up, I might have the Scamp just before Christmas. Otherwise it'll be mid January 2018.
I'm getting excited.
Tony Lang.
tony lang
New Contributor

Post by tony lang »

Greetings All, the Gig Harbour Scamp has arrived :D . I'll start a new post re the Scamp in Australia & pass on my feedback & commentary. Tony L.