SCAMP Build Questions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

robert#392
New Contributor

SCAMP Build Questions

Post by robert#392 »

Hello Howard,

BTW: Thanks so much for allowing me to drop in on SCAMP Camp 2017 and feel a part of the movement.

Considering a SCAMP with a 18" footwell located between bulkheads 4 & 5, where would you suggest the location of the water ballast tank be?

With all cleats and filleting done and aft transom doubled, is the next step the covering of the inside of the hull with epoxy? Then turn the boat over and work on the bottom of the hull?

In SCAMP Camp 2016, you introduced an improved center board bolt system. Did you ever make a diagram or instruction sheet of the setup modifications?

Thanks

Robert

Robert Carter
Graham, WA 98338
robertc.bobc@gmail.com
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP Build Questions

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Robert
Good to see you at the just concluded SCAMP Camp. The builds continue to be refined as well as the kits. There has been a dramatic improvement in how the boats are built in Camps from the first SCAMP Camp. I look back on how we (Me, John, Scott and Jason) conducted the first Camp and reflect on how different Camps and build methods are now, amazing differences.

I conducted two Camps this summer and two Mast Camps and both offered builders new options and methods. Having now completed 4 custom builds (one being my boat) with two underway now for a total of 77 SCAMP's I have instructed in Camps means I have learned many things about the little boats. Many of the modifications I have come up with will soon be incorporated into a revision of the plans, which we are finalizing soon.

To your questions.
1. The foot well is located aft of the ballast tank. The suggested eighteen and a half inch (fore and aft measurement) well is adjacent to the ballast tank between bulkhead five and six, you add a small bulkhead to form the aft side of the well. The ballast tank stays as is in the design sheet.

2.Yes you can now coat the hull inside. Curious why you doubled your transom, it isn't necessary to do so. I am always curious when I hear about builders doubling the transom.

3. I will post photos of the cbd pin system I designed. I built a model to depict it and it with many other modifications will be reflected in the plan revision.

FYI: I am one of the featured speakers at this years NW Woodenboat Festival and accompanying me will be my boat Southern Cross. She arrived from Chile two days ago and is being featured at the Festival. I hope you can make it because the foot well can be seen as well as other modifications. Southern Cross is going on display today exactly as she came out of the Southern Ocean. She spent the last months in her crate covered in snow about 100 feet off of the Strait of Magellan.

Hope this helps.