Building 417 from Plans

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jhippe
Regular Contributor

Re: Building 417 from Plans

Post by jhippe »

Then I go after the joint with the random orbital sander and end up with this:
IMG_1871.jpg
At this point, I am not looking completely fair joint as I don't want to waste time on areas that will not be used. Therefore, I will do more sanding and fairing when I have the planks cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I also stress tested the joint on an off-cut. Joint looks like it held. Wood gave out before the epoxy.
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1873(1).jpg
IMG_1874.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

If you are open to some friendly advice then send me a message and I will get back to you. I can help you with scarf glue ups, etc.
Glad to offer a few thoughts if your interested.
howard
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Hello Howard, I sent you a message and I wanted to also respond here to say yes, I am very open to advice, ideas, insights, etc. One of the things I really like about this forum is learning from others. I am ok if you want to post here so others can also benefit.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Today I finished drawing out my planks. I had started drawing them yesterday and when I returned today I found a couple of errors which I rectified. On my last plank, when I went to draw out the curve I found another error. Don't know how I did this at the time without seeing the problem but there you have it. If you look at the picture below, you will see one stray nail out of line... :(
IMG_1877.jpg
This will be the last work I do for a week as I head out on a business trip to Michigan. Hope to get more time in the shop during Thanksgiving week.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Well, after two weeks I was able to get back to boat building. A business trip had me away for a week and then I got into rearranging my shop to accommodate a new bench top drill press. I have been wanting on for a long time and finally bit the bullet. My shop had become quite disorganized and I was constantly moving tools around. So, I took a few days and reorganized and added some additional light.

Anyway, today I cut out the last two planks and cut out the holes for the hatches on B3. I went with 12x16 inches which should result in about 10 1/2 x 14 1/2 after coamings are added. I will be building Russell Brown style hatches. Tomorrow, I hope to get the hatch covers cut out and begin on the coamings.

I am still not decided on which gasket type to use. ericleif used a gasket from ACE Hardware with good success so will look into that.
IMG_1933.jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Got a few more hours in the shop today. Finished up the bench for the drill press and then cut out one hatch cover. I am fairly pleased with the results. I think I got a pretty consistent reveal all the way around. Took quite a bit of fiddling with random orbital sander, spokeshaves, drawknife, and bench planes but it got done. It may be hard to tell from the picture, but the port side has the hatch cover in it.

I ordered surgical tubing for the gasket. I stopped by a couple of big box stores to see what type of weather stripping they had but didn't like the looks of what I could find. The surgical tubing will go around the corners easily which means only one joint.

I also ordered most of my running rigging from R&W Ropes which is having a 20% off sale until the 27th. I am going with Hempex and Posh Polyester 3 strand rope. I like the traditional look and find it so much easier to splice. I will be making my own blocks so this will be important to me.

Will be back out on the road this week so won't be able to do any more work until next weekend.
IMG_1935.jpg
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Looks great! You have got some beautiful planes and saws there, nice. Cool idea with the Hempex rope. I haven't bought my running rigging yet, and I'll have to look into the Hempex.

-Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Home for a couple of days this weekend but very busy with family and holiday activities so only got about an hour in the shop. I was, however, able to cut out the second hatch cover for B3. This one went much faster than the first because I knew more about what I was doing.

Is it me or do you see some bizarre robot face in the bulkhead?
IMG_1945.JPG
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I am beginning to contemplate the gaskets for the hatches and am wondering how deep to cut the grooves. Specifically, I am wondering whether to leave the gasket proud enough that even when closed, the hatch will not be in contact with the coaming as seen in the pictures below, or bury the gasket deeper so that the hatch will be in contact with the coaming but still providing a seal. The pictures, of course, are showing the grooves on scrap.

Advice?
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
Please ignore the angled groove. I was rushing when freehand sharpening the blade of a new-to-me plow plane and got a skew in the blade.

I also experimented with a rounded groove. In the picture the groove is not nearly deep enough but shows the general idea of the rounded groove.
IMG_1949.JPG