Building 417 from Plans

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jhippe
Regular Contributor

Re: Building 417 from Plans

Post by jhippe »

I was home for a day yesterday so got some time in the shop. Started experimenting with coamings. Went to the big box store to pick up some Douglas Fir. Got some clear stock in the 2X4s but they are quite wet -- running 17-22% moisture. So they will need some drying out. In the mean time I will be looking at other sources for dry Douglas Fir or another decent wood.

Trying to get the right reveal and depth to the channel for the gasket. The wider reveal (to the inside of the gasket -- towards the hole) is stronger but I don't want to close off the opening too much...

I am cutting the grooves with a plow plane and then will miter the corners.

In the first photo you can see that the gasket is pinched. Therefore in the second picture I added some reinforcement in the corner so that I could trim the corner to ease the turn which seemed to be a bit helpful.

In the last picture, I have the wider reveal which allows me to ease the corner a bit. Will continue to experiment more when I get home next weekend.
IMG_1975(1).jpg
IMG_1978(1).jpg
IMG_1974(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I am outside Toledo, Ohio for work this week so took the opportunity to explore local lumber yards. Found 4/4 Sassafras already milled. Bought a little over 14 board feet. Price was $2.25 a board foot so good price. The wood database http://www.wood-database.com/sassafras/ rates sassafras as durable to very durable with regards to rot resistance and is comparable to Douglas Fir for weight.

I have never worked with Sassafras but am looking forward to it. It has a nice, spicy smell. Will be using for the coamings for the hatches and runners.

After this week I will be off the road and home for about three weeks so looking forward to ramping up the boat building again...
sassafras1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Post by Bchrovers »

Toledo Ohio.... that's my home town!! Our property was very sandy and Sassafras grew like weeds all over the place. Really nice trees, beautiful colors in the fall, and loved the smell of the roots when we dug them up. Never new they had good rot resistance.

Marty
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Frustrating day in the shop yesterday. Started working on the coamings. I like the Sassafras. It works easily -- much easier than the white oak and hard maple that I am used to. Dimensioned enough stock for one coaming and then took some time to dial in my plow plane and rabbeting plane.

When this was done, I started cutting the groove for the gasket.
IMG_2009.jpg
After cutting the groove, I cut a rabbet with the intention of recessing the gasket a bit. My hope here is to allow compression of the gasket when the hatch is installed flush with the bulkhead.
IMG_2010.jpg
This, again, took some fiddling but eventually I got what I wanted.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

My problems began -- or continued -- when I started cutting to size. Geometry and math are not my strong suits so accidentally cut them too large.
IMG_2011.jpg
No problem, I thought. I will just cut down to a smaller size...
IMG_2012.jpg
AAAARRRGGGG!!! As Bugs Bunny would say..."What a maroon!"

Oh, well, back to the shop today. Hopefully I will make more parts than mistakes...
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Much more success in the shop this morning. Completed two sets of coamings and the backing plates to the hatch covers.

I have decided not to cut the rabbet. I will simply add a spacer to the back of the bulkhead. I think this will be simpler and provide a more precise fit.
IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg
Now it is off to see the "Last Jedi"...
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

jhippe wrote:Now it is off to see the "Last Jedi"...
Yoda says, 'building a very good SCAMP You are."
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Fine work! And again, those are some beautiful tools. Thanks for sharing.
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Today I decided to start epoxy coating the parts. I am not able to get them all laid out at once so I think it will be a three or four part sequence ...
IMG_2021.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2023.jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

First coat applied. Used Silver Tip fast curing epoxy. Rolled and tipped B4, the hatch covers, and the bottom. Everything else just rolled. Now having a cup of tea to wait for the first coat to cure enough to top coat -- hopefully in an hour or so...
IMG_2024.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg