Plank Lapping Fix Ideas.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Papermate
New Contributor

Plank Lapping Fix Ideas.

Post by Papermate »

Hello Scampers,
My build is coming along slowly but surely. I've been building her from plans and have found quite a bit of "massaging" is required. Nothing has been to out of whack. I chalk most of the discrepancies up to my poor drafting skills and an enjoyment of pairing tinkering and other forms of drafts. Recently, I laid up the planks and have have cheated them every which way possible to make them fit and as you can see in the photos (assuming they show up, I'm not an avid tech person), the lap is a little off. Before you say cheat them down to fix the lap, they are glued and glassed in place. I have no fear that the joint wont be strong enough as the thick fillet/glass inside will provide plenty of "meat".
The question is, how to fix it aesthetically on the outside.

My thoughts thus far are:

1) Trace the drop of plywood from cutting out the plank onto a piece of 1/4" melamine. Cut to match. Temporally attach the me melamine to the hull, cheated down 1/2"-5/8" and fill the gap with "peanut butter. Allow the goo to cure. Pop off the melamine. And hopefully the dammed epoxy mixture will look like a properly fit plank with it's pre-done under fillet.

2) Float a large fillet over the joint and lose the Lap look.

Please hit me up with any thoughts or comments.
Thanks,

scamp14
Regular Contributor

Re: Plank Lapping Fix Ideas.

Post by scamp14 »

Papermate
What I did was to wait until the boat was upside down, then I filled any gaps/wide over laps with thickend epoxy - which settled under gravity, then I cleaned up with a surform plane to give a nice looking fair curve to the plank edge. Some of the gaps were 1/2" wide but after cleaning and painting look fine. Remember no body but another Scamp builder will not know that they are not intentional.

[IMGP1532.JPG]

Paul
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Photos would help.
Papermate wrote:Hello Scampers,
My build is coming along slowly but surely. I've been building her from plans and have found quite a bit of "massaging" is required. Nothing has been to out of whack. I chalk most of the discrepancies up to my poor drafting skills and an enjoyment of pairing tinkering and other forms of drafts. Recently, I laid up the planks and have have cheated them every which way possible to make them fit and as you can see in the photos (assuming they show up, I'm not an avid tech person), the lap is a little off. Before you say cheat them down to fix the lap, they are glued and glassed in place. I have no fear that the joint wont be strong enough as the thick fillet/glass inside will provide plenty of "meat".
The question is, how to fix it aesthetically on the outside.

My thoughts thus far are:

1) Trace the drop of plywood from cutting out the plank onto a piece of 1/4" melamine. Cut to match. Temporally attach the me melamine to the hull, cheated down 1/2"-5/8" and fill the gap with "peanut butter. Allow the goo to cure. Pop off the melamine. And hopefully the dammed epoxy mixture will look like a properly fit plank with it's pre-done under fillet.

2) Float a large fillet over the joint and lose the Lap look.

Please hit me up with any thoughts or comments.
Thanks,

Papermate
New Contributor

Post by Papermate »

Paul,
Thanks for the response. I think I'll take your advice and "fair" it out after I flip the hull. It would be nice to not have to fight gravity in regards to the epoxy. I'll take some photos when I get to that stage.
Cheers,