Considering SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Considering SCAMP

Post by pocketyacht »

Looks like there may be a SCAMP Camp brewing in Florida this coming February. The Camp would be the type where both new builders can sign up and build from a kit and builders with boats underway can bring them for assists. Right now I have two builders and one of them is in Crystal River, which is where I am thinking to organize a Camp. The SCAMP Camp builds have evolved into very efficient events, you end up with a hull and skills.

I concur with Marty Worline, SCAMP building is more time consuming than difficult but worth the effort. She is not a particularly difficult build.
Let me know if you are interested and we may end up with enough folks to make a Camp possible.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

You've convinced me, you need a SCAMP. She's a great little ship. What are you waiting for? Order a kit! And, share your pictures along the way..
hawk232
New Contributor

Post by hawk232 »

I would LOVE to attend a camp, but i am afraid it is cost prohibitive at this time.

I have to admit, i am torn in many directions. im ready to sail now, but i would like to build something. i would have the more pride in a plans build, but im ready to sail now LOL. i am hoping if i go with a kit i can have her on the water in a year or so (working after work and occasional weekends. If not, it gets done when it gets done but i have read time and time again that a kit build saves alot o time...
Last edited by hawk232 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Hawk, have you had a chance to try sailing a SCAMP yet?
If you haven't, I'd be happy to take you out for a sail in Puffin (SCAMP #197) which lives in a barn off Rt 121 between Crystal River and Williston.
We just got into town for the winter and I do plan to make the Cedar Key small boat meet later this month.

Rob
hawk232
New Contributor

Post by hawk232 »

I am down 121 frequently on my way to a sailing buddies house in orange lake. I would LOVE to get to sail in a SCAMP. Has your boat been done for a little bit? I have seen one SCAMP in person, at the big Cedar Key small boat meet, and the name Puffin sure rings a bell!! I was in my ketch rigged (only one in existence that i know of) hobie tandem island. I will send you a PM with my contact info.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

If you saw a SCAMP at Cedar Key in the last couple years, it was Puffin. A few years ago Marty Worline brought Fat Bottomed Girl up to Cedar Key, which was the first time I got to sail one. (Thanks again, Marty!)
ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Post by ElHeffe »

My advice: Buy a kit and build it yourself. I had a great time at scamp camp and some of the hardest bits were done in that two week period.

As for experience, I had built a wooden kayak about 10 years before I built my scamp, so I had some experience with epoxy. I also had some general woodworking experience. None of the skills you need require any special expertise or 15 years of apprenticeship, but don't go into it expecting a cake walk. Expect lots of fun puzzles to solve.

Unfortunately, building does not satisfy your "sail it now" criteria. If you are working full time, you can expect a minimum 1 year from the time you buy the kit to the time you get it wet. Obviously this depends on your schedule. There were two (of 6) scamps built at Aug 2014 scamp camp that were in the water in summer 2015.
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com