Red Lantern Rally 2018

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: Red Lantern Rally 2018

Post by Derek »

I say option two! Thursday and Friday Mystery Bay, Then cruise over to the Palooza.

Bonus points if somebody jumps off the Siren's Balcony at high tide and swims back to their scamp.

-Derek

Liberty53
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Tides for Mystery Bay, Marrowstone Island, July 19, 2018
Low 05:29 AM 2.6'
High 10:33 AM 5.2'
Low 04:26 PM 2.2'
High 11:01 PM 8.5'

July 20, 2018
Low 06:33 AM 1.7'
High 12:35 PM 5.1'
Low 05:26 PM 3.6'
High 11:39 PM 8.2'

Imagetides Port Townsend July 19 2018 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Looks ok to launch in Mystery Bay mid-morning on the 19th, and, if you have to take out that day, the tide is coming back in late afternoon. But, it's low tide during the afternoon, so the beach isn't at it's most attractive state.

Sailing in and out will require an early start on the 19th to catch the small flood, and leaving on the afternoon on the 20th will catch a small ebb.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

ImageLUNA heading up Clifton Channel, Columbia River, in a freshening thermal (photo by Derek) by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
dsimonson wrote: Three basic choices:
1) join Palooza, no separate event
2) Thurs-Fri before Palooza, Mystery Bay
3) after Palooza, perhaps the following weekend, central or south Sound
One vote for option 2, so far... I'll add mine there too... so that's two!

Dan? Keith? jhippe? (can you get there in time)? Everyone else?
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

I like option 2. It is the best of all worlds.....enjoy the rally, the rally and palooza, or the full monty of all three! Or if you can't make the rally, I would imagine the vast majority of the scamps would be at the palooza.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I think that option two sounds like the best option. For me, however, this means that I will probably not be able to attend all of it. I will probably be in San Francisco or Fresno for work that week and will not be able to leave until Thursday or Friday at the earliest, and I am obligated to family activities on the weekend. So, I might be able to be part of festivities on Friday.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Option 2 it is. I will plan on hitting PT on the Wednesday night for events starting Thursday.

Cheers

Dan
norseboater
Regular Contributor

Post by norseboater »

Just to follow-up on our earlier invitation, for SCAMP owners to attend the July 21 POCKET YACHT PALOOZA following your Mystery Bay gathering on the 19th and 20th, we'd like to share details on the annual PALOOZA CROOZA that begins Sunday morning, July 22…and this year for the first time takes our motley fleet of about 30 boats away from the Port Townsend area.

Yesterday, we finalized plans for a South Puget Sound adventure for small-boat skippers, that'll involve a two-night, three-day circumnavigation of Harstine and Squaxin Islands, with overnight stops at Jarrell Cove Marine State Park and Hope Island Marine State Park. We'll launch at the soon-to-be-rebuilt Port of Grapeview ramp next to Fair Harbor Marina (south of Allyn, on Case Inlet), and follow a circular route…no back-tracking.

We always have SCAMPs at the POCKET YACHT PALOOZA: If there's such a thing as nautical demographics, SCAMPs are at the very center of what our Port Townsend Pocket Yachters group loves…compact, seaworthy camp-cruising sailboats with flair, character and what some might call attitude. Same goes for the annual PALOOZA CROOZA, since we'll have all kinds of interesting small boats along for the 30-mile loop cruise (rowing, paddling, sailing and in some cases motoring), but SCAMPs will be near the center of our small-boat gene pool.

Some folks sleep aboard their boats during the CROOZA; others tent-camp ashore. (We always make sure our overnight stops offer both options…quiet, protected anchorages with availability of onshore camping.)

So, for those of you who might have time for a nicely extended SCAMP experience, please consider this triple play--first the Red Lantern Rally, followed by a day with other small-boat fanatics at the POCKET YACHT PALOOZA, and concluding with a great adventure with others during the PALOOZA CROOZA.

Here are all of the details on the July 21 POCKET YACHT PALOOZA and July 22-24 PALOOZA CROOZA:

http://www.pocketyachters.com/Port_Town ... ROOZA.html

(We live on Mystery Bay, so we'll see many of you during the Red Lantern Rally. If you want to display your SCAMP on its trailer during the POCKET YACHT PALOOZA, just show up at the Northwest Maritime Center Friday evening, July 20, and we'll get you positioned on the Commons plaza next to the NWMC Boatshop. Or, if you want to sail over just for the day of the PALOOZA, we'll see you Saturday morning, July 21, as you pull up on the NWMC beach next to the Commons. And if you want the full meal deal, including the PALOOZA CROOZA, our trailer-boat convoy will leave Port Townsend at 10 a.m. Sunday, July 22, heading for Grapeview in South Sound. Boats will be in the water at about noon that day, heading for Jarrell Cove. And, finally, if you're unable to take part in the entire three-day PALOOZA CROOZA, you're welcome to join in the fun for Day One, returning to the Grapeview ramp Sunday evening or first thing Monday, after overnighting at Jarrell Cove. Hope to see you at one, two or all three events! - Marty Loken, email Norseboater22@gmail.com with any questions.)
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Noddy’s in for Option 2. 19/20th Mystery Bay, on the Commons for Palooza, and then trailer down to Grapeview on the 22nd. The full Monty!

Simeon
Noddy, #11
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

Hi Scampers,
I've been out of this loop for awhile, but I'm excited to see that Red Lantern is still alive. All of the above options look great to me with one exception: summer in the South Sound tends to be great for rowers and water skiers, but the sailing tends to be light at best. As an Olympia sailor, I'm as far south as you can get. (True old salts argue that this is called "up" the Sound or "high" in the sound, but "calm" is the most common summer weather forecast.) I'm sure there is more chance of wind further north, and the need for a good launch area and a place to camp are good planning. I do remember that Purdy Spit, in the mid sound was well liked back in my windsurfing days, but I know nothing about the facilities there. Another idea that has been floated is to have the RLR in PT during the Wooden Boat Fest in September when the sailing has always been entertaining, though I'm sure there are conflicts I haven't thought of.
Good to see what everybody has come up with, and thanks for pursuing this!
Mike Moore #170 TOR
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Yahoo!

I'm excited for the rally. I'll be bringing my Dad (a catalina 27 sailor) instead of my smoking hot wife.

19 and 20th Mystery Bay, and the commons on the 21st.

We won't make the cruise at Grapeview, we're heading down for some lake sailing in California.

Can't wait!

Although, I still want to flip Liberty over in the shop and touch up her bottom, paint and re-varnish everything, dail in my tent, and put new tires on the trailer.

-Derek
Liberty 53
Mosier Oregon