Red Lantern Rally 2018

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Tide level should not impact the ramp on either day. Weather forecasts are fine.
Thursday 8am-2pm and after 7pm best (over 4’)
Friday 9am and later is over 4’

Simeon and Noddy
(619)846-2738)
Last edited by simeoniii on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Red Lantern Rally 2018

Post by simeoniii »

SCAMPers all: Please show up, boat or no boat. Rides can be hitched :D

Noddy should be in the water tied to the pier late Wednesday. Early Thursday a.m. I’ll put up a pavilion tent with 2 tables and 1 chair near the ramp and be hanging out. If anyone local wants to bring a BBQ and fuel I’m sure it would be used Thursday eve.

Tide level should not impact the ramp on either day. Weather forecasts are fine.
Thursday: 8am-2pm and after 7pm best (over 4’)
Friday: 9am and later is over 4’. I find that below 4' it make it a lot more difficult with my tow vehicle :oops:

Simeon and Noddy
(619)846-2738 cell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Thanks for the intel on the ramp, Simeon! See you soon...
Dale
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

The theme for the Rally must have been YELLOW!

ImageM7206284 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageM7196256 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageM7206283 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

I guess I wasn't the only one that missed that memo, though!

ImageM7196267 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageM7196212 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageM7196241 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageM7216292 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

The Ice Cream Race dissolved in the heat... it became a "Hang Out On The Store Dock" telling tall tales. Only Sergei had the wits to do the last half and claim the (non-existent) trophy.

Very nice to see you all there! I think there were 7 Scamps in Mystery Bay, then 10 Scamps at the Palooza, and it might've been 7 of us that did the Crooza. The "full monty" was heaps of fun... great people, pretty boats, beautiful cruising grounds, and good breezes for every day (except that cooker of a drifter on the last afternoon). Thanks to everyone involved!!!

Cheers,
Dale
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Hello all,

Another great Rally in PT. I arrived about dinner time on the Wednesday before the rally. The plan had been to tow her over to Mystery Bay the next day and then tow her back to PT on Friday for the Palooza. On arrival the other bright yellow Scamp of Sergei was on the ramp at the marine Centre. Sergei suggested I launch her there and sale over to Mystery Bay with him the next morning. The wind was howling and I could only think about how I was going to get her over to the harbour, let alone to Mystery Bay the next day. Swallowing my fear, you only live once and I am well insured so the wife would live well without me; I agreed and thankfully Segei sailed Little Tike over to the marina for me. The next morning was sunny and dead calm. The two of us set off early to hit the high tide on the way into Mystery Bay about 10:30. With a slow sail and a bit of rowing, assisted by what I am sure was a tonne of kelp attached to my rudder at one point, we made it through the shallows. Sergei has a window at the bottom of his footwell so he could watch the bottom depth, who knew. Almost sailed past Mystery Bay but saw a Scamp sail go up and down so headed that way. The wind died just as I got close to the shore so a little frantic rowing got me turned around and pointed at the dock. One good bounce from bow to dock and some welcome assistance from the crew on the dog and I had survived the first solo cruise. A few hours later a was thrilled to see the very large rock appear near the shore where I had almost run her aground. A good days sailing in very light winds in the bay and put her to sleep on the dock for the night. The next morning it is back to PT. Number 1 is about a foot in front of me on the dog. Still light winds and quite calm. the water, not me. Tried raising the sail but she just wanted to bump into #1 so dropped the sail and pushed her off the dock. Now I am headed back to my favorite rock shore. Manage to raise the sail and get her pointed back into the bay. I am thinking how to I go forward to tie off the halyard and keep the rudder pointed in the right direction without hitting all the other boats moored out there. Finally mange in a fairly inept manner, I am sure am a source of amusement to the rest of the SCAMPers. I then realize that my oars are mounted in just the right position to snag the mainsheet every time the boom shifts. Another terrifying moment leaning over both sided to unhook the oars and shift them around. Thanks to Sergie for the moral support. Sailing back with Sergie and 2 of the 3 notorious Pirate crew, Dale and Derek, all great guys. At one point Derek hops on board to give a hand and we are having great fun until he decides he is short on fuel of the beer variety. He asks his dad in the boat behind to toss one over but must have been a bit to slow. He asks me to hold his phone for a moment and the next thing I know he is over the side heading back to his boat. Little warning next time? Nice quiet sail the rest of the way back. I think I got up to a max of 6km/hr on my GPS which was great for me. Though I was doing well as I got to the ramp at the Marine centre. Focused on all the right stuff, lining her up and when to drop the sail. Came to a halt quite quickly at the ramp. I am pleased to report that the quick release on my rudder works quite well as does the pivot pin on the centreboard. No harm done other than to my pride. To top it off, as I am loading her on the trailer, I manage to step off the tongue and do a lovely face plant into the shallow water on the shore. All in all great fun. Many thanks to all the help from my fellow sailors. It all looks so easy when you do it. Hopefully the cruise next year.

Cheers,

Dan
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Haha, Dan! Great report... thank you so much for posting. It was a blast sailing with you, and all the great scampers that attended. I've had all the experiences you described... parking by touch, foils as depth sounders, halyard wrapped around ankles while approaching large rocks... Congratulations on a finely executed excursion. You did everything right, in my books! (how the heck are we going to learn, if we don't made the mistakes?)

Looking forward to the next time we get to cruise together,
Dale