Red Lantern Rally 2018

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Red Lantern Rally 2018

Post by Editors »

Hi Scampers,

It's time again to set a date for the 2018 Red Lantern Rally, a fun sailing gathering specifically for Scamp owners—typically held in July.

Historically we've had every one of the events at Mystery Bay on Marrowstone Island, just across from Port Townsend. This has worked well as it's a scenic and safe place to sail with protected water, a shallow ramp, and some key facilities near-by—not to mention there are quite a few Scamps in the region.

Past highlights have included our freestyle Scamp dance events in front of judges like John Welsford, Scamp skills talks and demos with Howard Rice, the annual Red Lantern Rally Ice Cream Race from the beach down to the Nordland Store, and general good camaraderie.

This year we could do it at Mystery Bay again, or consider moving it elsewhere. Some alternate potential suggestions have included:

South Puget Sound
Sequim Bay
Somewhere on the Columbia River

Another idea was to combine with or connect with another event, like the Pocket Yacht Palooza and Palooza Crooza.

I'm open to any of these ideas, including keeping at Mystery Bay. My only strong suggestion is that it's held somewhere easily accessible for novice sailors who just want to day sail. More avid cruisers can always sail in from farther away or turn it into an extended trip, but we want to encourage as much participation as we can (besides, we need to beat the current record of 12 Scamps together on one beach!)

As I said last year, I'd love to delegate some or all of the planning of the Red Lantern Rally to another Scamp owner or group of Scamp sailors. Between two businesses and three kids I don't have a lot of time for planning summer events. Although it really doesn't require much effort beyond looking at the tides, picking a date, and showing up, I know some of you would prefer there were things like some friendly racing, maybe a potluck lunch or dinner, a planned overnight, campfire, etc.

Anyway, if you're interested in attending, have some suggestions for how the event should structured or where it should be held, and/or are willing to be part of the informal steering committee—grab hold of the helm while I slide up under the veranda for a nap.

—Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: Red Lantern Rally 2018

Post by Derek »

What do you think Pirate crew!? (Dale and Kieth)

Should we show these scurvy dogs how to properly Scamp?

I can be in charge of the camp fire.

-Derek

#169 Liberty 53
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Oh my, look at all those beautiful boats!!!

You bet, Derek and Josh, count me in... We have to get this gang together again, as well as all the others that we've missed over the years... there must be hundreds of us now, we should be able to triple that current record!

I'm happy with all the suggested locations, Josh. Mystery Bay is awesome, and pretty central to many of the builders, I'd think. (Is there a place for Derek to build us a big fire?) Sequim would be really fun, it looks like the perfect bay for daysailing, but perhaps has less opportunities for extended cruising? (I've not sailed out of there, how many of you would like to head out from that location?) I've always wanted to sail in south Puget Sound, too. And, Columbia River is amazing, we cruised out of Cathlamet last summer, and had a blast!

The Palooza and Crooza are also on my bucket list, and seem to fit the ethos of SCAMPing perfectly. (But do you think several dozen Scamps would be welcome? Shall we just take it over, like the pirates we are?)

Cheers,
Dale
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

I'm in if the timing is right. Made the first 2 and officially launched Lil Tike at the second. Think we had 11 boats. Need to take a ferry from the island at about $500 US return, which is about a zillion Canadian, so would prefer to have it around the time of another event. Like Dale, I have the Palooza on the list so would be a good fit. After 3 years plus building, # 70 has been on the water about a week in total. Finally sold the business and am working for somebody else for the first time in 35 years so am looking forward to some free time for sailing in semi retirement. So far find it a bit of a scary process. Memorized all those rules about right of way and the like. Of course those big yachts racing in front of Port Townsend seem to go by the "I'm bigger and faster rule". Good thing Scamps turn on a dime.

Cheers

Dan
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I would be in if the timing is right. For me, I will be driving in from Milwaukee for a wedding on July 21st in Bremerton. On the Monday or Tuesday after that, my girls and I will be heading out for about 10 days in the San Juan islands. Would love to include the Red Lantern Rally in those plans if it works out. First, however, I need to finish my boat. It is still quite flat...
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

let's get some sweet pictures going for motivation.

OVER powered on the Columbia River. I'm assuming we reefed after the picture was taken...and put on a lifejacket.

-Derek
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Ahoy Maties! I'm definitely down for a scamp gathering. As has been said, Mystery bay is a great option. Dale and I had a blast navigating in through Killisut harbor.

I think being part of the Palooza has merit.

Us pirates, Dale, Derek and myself, have had some pretty epic times in our scamps. The pinnacle so far was nine days at the northern end of Vancouver Island.

Some inspiration for summer.....
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hello Scampers,

I went to Port Townsend last Friday evening, to attend the PT Pocket Yachters and Puget Sound chapter of TSCA “Holiday Potluck Dinner”, and had a great visit with our small-boat brothers and sisters.

I chatted with Marty Loken (organizer of the Port Townsend Pocket Yacht Palooza, July 21, <http://bit.ly/2018palooza>), he’s very happy to have the Red Lantern Rally included at the Palooza, he thinks it’s perfect mix.

However, Simeon and I started talking about having the Rally Thursday-Friday (July 19-20) before Palooza, at Mystery Bay. That way, we could have our own beach, silly Scamp dances, and overnighter for those that wish, and go over to PT for the Palooza on Saturday. Then, those that wished could go on the Crooza Sunday-Monday-Tues.

That would suit me, what do you all think?

Marty is sorting out the Crooza float plan this week, in Central or South Sound. His plan, so far, is to have all the boats trailer down to a launch ramp on Sunday after the Palooza, overnight fairly close to that ramp (unnamed as of yet), and carry on from there (July 22-24).

Alternatively, we could do Red Lantern after end of the Crooza, on the Sound, perhaps Wed-Thurs 25-26. I suspect would have less uptake, because it’s a bit earlier in the week. Or, Saturday-Sunday 28-29…? Serious cruising time after the the Crooza, and finish up at the Red Lantern!! (for those that have the time and inclination! I’d be down for that!) I don’t know the waters down there yet, so it’s a bit more vague in my mind, and maybe we’d need someone closer on the ground to book a beach?

Three basic choices:
1) join Palooza, no separate event
2) Thurs-Fri before Palooza, Mystery Bay
3) after Palooza, perhaps the following weekend, central or south Sound

What say you?
norseboater
Regular Contributor

Post by norseboater »

We would love to see Scampers turning out at the Saturday, July 21 Pocket Yacht Palooza, mixing it up with owners of 60-75 other small boats. And then, those who want to cruise with about 30 others can join the Sunday morning convoy as we drive south to begin the Palooza Crooza in (almost certainly) South Puget Sound, where there are terrific routes and destinations for small boats. The nice thing about the Palooza Crooza is that we arrange the routes so that folks can take part for all three days or easily return to the launch ramp at the end of Day One or Day Two if they need to get home early. Finally, I'll make a final Palooza Crooza scouting trip Tuesday, so we should post final details by next weekend on the Port Townsend Pocket Yachters website,. www.pocketyachters.com. - Marty Loken