SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

steve71
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

Post by steve71 »

Finally started cutting out the plywood. Still have some more marking out to do but have enough marked out to begin cutting out pieces.
I discovered that using a Liquid Paper correction pen made the lines easy to see as you marked the lines out on the plywood.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Finally have gotten to the point where most of the plywood has been cut out. Now I am starting on building the cradle at last.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

So far, most of the pieces have been cut out... enough to get building with. I used the Bolger scarphing method and seems to hold well for the bottom panel.

The building jig has been assembled and is now to be leveled on the legs. Judging from the plans, it would appear that the end of the jig which is a little shorter than the other end, is where the forward end of the bottom panel rests.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

The centerboard is now just about ready. 2 sheets of 6 mil and 2 of 9 mil glued and then shaped as close as practical to the foil on the plans. Melted lead into half inch thick plates and then made a cavity to fit the lead in. Poured in epoxy around and over the lead and then fiber-glassed the whole centerboard.
Last edited by steve71 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Most of the plywood parts have been coated with epoxy. Did a dry fit of the bulkheads in order to deal with the center board trunk layout. So far no panic!
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Sounding very good, Steve!! But where’s the photos? ;)
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Hi, I have a few photos but not sure how to put them up unfortunately! Any help would be appreciated.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Just for the record, I am plodding along with SCAMP. Bulkheads set up and am gluing in cleats.
I will put up some pics once I can figure out how to reduce the size so they can be attached. (not all that computer savvy!)
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Get a program called Paint.net. On save you can easily reduce the size and still have a good picture. The program is Free.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

GregWads wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 am
Get a program called Paint.net. On save you can easily reduce the size and still have a good picture. The program is Free.
Thanks Greg. I'll give it a try!