Leaky Russel Brown hatches

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Leaky Russel Brown hatches

Post by Bcbimmer »

Hello all.

I have 5 RB hatches in my Scamp and they all leak. I left the boat sitting outside under cover with the hatches in place for a few months and for whatever reason the gaskets stuck to the hatch lids in all of them. By the time I pried them loose all the gaskets were torn and need to be replaced. There have been numerous other posts about leaking hatches. Many mentioned replacing the regular gaskets with surgical tubing but I never did see any follow-up as to whether that worked any better. Any comments as to what has worked for others out there?

Cheers

Dan
ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Leaky Russel Brown hatches

Post by ericleif »

Hi Dan,

I made Russell Brown style hatches for my SCAMP. I haven’t tested them in the real world yet but did do a leak test with them with water after they were installed in BH3 and they didn’t leak a drop after 10-15 minutes. I used “D” foam gaskets with adhesive back like these:
BBDC05D3-726F-48CE-85F8-CB07D537D1B7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hi Dan. As you probably recall, Keith replaced all his gaskets with surgical tubing (slightly larger in diameter), and glued them into their grooves with Sikaflex. I believe they still leak. Maybe not as much.

I have the stock gaskets in mine still... I've re-glued one, and several others are going to need it soon because they tend to stick to the lids. They leak if they have standing water on them. I use drybags, etc, for anything that needs to stay dry, or store it forward of B3 where I've never had any water.

Simeon's Armstrong hatches in his sole didn't leak a drop after eight hours of firehose conditions in the 1st leg of R2AK last year. I was impressed.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Here’s a thought: the foam gaskets in my Armstrong hatches are circular and a bit more than 1/4” in diameter. If that works with your R. B. hatches, maybe they could be good replacements for the latex tubing. Armstrong might even sell that gasket material separately.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

I had that adhesion problem with a couple of my RB hatches and one of my own custom ones based on RB's design. After a 3-day highway trip they were stuck down and pulled the latex tubing up when I pried them open. I am trying a coat of paste wax on the lids to see if it will stop them from adhering to the tubing. I'll report back when I have something to report.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

A few observations:
1) The paste wax (Butcher's) seems to keep the lids from adhering to the gaskets.

2) The epoxy coating on the undersides of my hatches was nubbly, which couldn't possibly help seal water out. I have smoothed the epoxy surface with a cabinet scraper before applying the wax.

3) I've beveled the edge of the hatches so the turn buttons can "climb" onto the lids more easily, which seems to make them clamp down better. I tightened the screws slightly to compensate.

4) SAND is not our friend! Some of my turn buttons had sand under them and under the screw heads. I need to be more careful about sand coming aboard!

5) Latex tubing may need replacing from time to time. It develops cracks. If you need to clean out old contact cement before replacing gaskets, Goo Gone and a small piece of Scotch-brite pad do a good job.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Thanks guys,

Still trying to decide whether to replace these hatches with something like the Armstrong ones (will be fine for small ones but don't think they make ones big enough to cover the hole from the RB hatches- does Armstrong make rectangular hatches?) Wondered about the handles on them - look pretty big -are they an issue for sitting or sleeping on them?

Plans to fix hatches and get some sailing lessons on hold for now so Litl Tike sitting forlornly in the driveway. My wife and work partner came off her bike about 6 weeks ago and broke a vertebrae in her lower back so is off work for at least 4-6 months. Gone from semi and looking forward to full retirement to working 60 hour weeks again. Getting too old for this. Fortunately my good wife will be fine in the end but looks like the sailing dreams are a next year thing.

Cheers

Dan
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Oh, no, Dan! I'm sorry to hear this... glad she'll be ok, but yikes! (very sobering news, as Chris and I just bought new bikes yesterday) ...and, that sure changed the work situation for you. Our sailing season is too short as it is.