Scamp #460 - got my plans (and many questions as well)

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Scamp #460 - got my plans (and many questions as well)

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Scampers,

me again, i got my plans- it's #460. And there are some more questions.

What forces must the ropes take? I'd choosen 6mm- ropes with 520daN breaking load (means 170daN /380 lbs usual workload).
Is this enough? In that case i'd take 6mm everywhere but for the sheet, which is more comfortable at diameter 10mm.

One question 'bout the rigging: Why is the halyard just a single rope while the boom downhauler has a pulley? I'd expected to have the boom attatched to a fix eye with a rope and the halyard to be worked with the pulley. Why is the pulley placed at the downhaul?

I prefer cutting my ply myself, so i can add a footwell and some minor ideas. But I can only get 4mm, 8mm and 10mm Okume- plywood instead of 6mm and 9mm. Well 10mm for 9mm isn't be a big deal, but 8 for 6mm could cause problems when bending the planks and the cabin top. What ply did you choose? Do you think 8mm will work? I'd maybe take 2x4mm for the cabin top to get it bent more easily.

Thanks for your ideas,

Best regards, Martin
Last edited by bei.beckers on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Re: Scamp #460 - got my plans (and many questions as well)

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Martin,

Your question about why the yard halyard is rigged with a single-block while the boom downhaul is rigged with block and tackle that generates higher force , is a good question. I am not the designer, but my thought is that the single block will allow the sailor to raise the yard and sail quickly, while the increased mechanical advantage of the downhaul will help achieve a nice tight rig.

Regarding the thickness of your plywood,I would caution against using any thickness other than that specified in the plans. Extra thickness will be heavier and difficult to bend and will change the weight distribution of components of the boat. Thinner sections will be lighter and weaker than the designer intended. Maybe other people have experi nice to share about using different thickness materials. I built from a kit which had the specified thickness materials.

Good luck!

Best Regards,

Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Jason,

thank you again, i saw your reply quite late 'cause of easter days...
This may be an explanation- having a fast halyard is good and I forgot the huge ammont of rope to stow away having double the way...

In the meantime i decided to go with the kit, mainly to safe time -and my wifes nerves as well ;-)
Choosing 8mm ply oder 6mm would have doubled the force for bending- i don't see this is a good solution, not to mention the weight issue.

What do you think about the ropes? Is a 6mm rope with 520daN breaking load (means 170daN /380 lbs usual workload) tough enough for use as halyard?

Best regards,
Martin
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

bei.beckers wrote:What do you think about the ropes? Is a 6mm rope with 520daN breaking load (means 170daN /380 lbs usual workload) tough enough for use as halyard?

Martin:

6mm (about 1/4") double braid line is more than enough for a SCAMP. On my much larger boat, a Montgomery 17, i use 1/4" line for the jib sheets and halyards. for comfort 5/16" (~8mm) on the main halyard. the remaining sail control lines are 3/16" (~5mm).

IMO I'd use 5/16 on the main sheet (for comfort ... but be tempted to use 1/4) and if my hands were comfortable 3/16 for all the other lines (ie, reefing, halyards, etc).
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi,

thanks, that's what i hoped.
I Just want to avoid an unnecessary variaty of ropes.
The mainsheet will be 8mm or 10mm for conveniance.

Best, Martin
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Guys,

my mast is finished. I guess the mast is the most challenging woodwork on Scamp, so I'm happy I succeede :D

Some pic attatched- you can see them all on my page
https://martins-dock.jimdofree.com/
(Sorry: in German only...)

best, Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Regarding your lines (sheets) John Welsford recommended non stretch lines for the halyard and downhaul. The main sheet, what ever is comfortable.