SCAMP Voyager Tent

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Voyager Tent

Post by pocketyacht »

Have just concluded the final prototype of a new SCAMP tent. This tent embodies my latest thinking in SCAMP tenting. It is the latest in the evolution of the three tents I designed and built for SCAMP #2 and is virtually the one I used successfully in violent weather conditions last year in Chile.

I have just built this tent for and with my friend Simeon Baldwin in Pt ludlow, Washington. Simeon is one of the sailors who has asked where they could either get the plans or purchase the tent I used in Chile last year. The tent I used was a one time design I did for that voyage. Seems a popular concept and as proof of concept it was a complete success . It was bullet proof, dry, warm and quiet.

I call the new version the SCAMP Voyager Tent and it is now available on a custom order basis through "thepocketyacht.com" Simeon has Voyager Tent #1 and orders #2 and #3 are under construction now.

I promised Simeon one for his boat. I was in Port Townsend picking up my boat and so it was tent building time. I brought along my portable sailmaking shop (2 machines and tools) along with the needed materials. Simeon supplied the garage space, good cheer and the team was off and running. His wife Mary pitched in with us.

Creating one of my designs for his boat was fun and interesting. In spite of how simple the tent looks it is a bit of a complicated project. I like small boat tents to be "twang" tight if popped with a finger and to ascheive this takes some thinking. Tents are quiet if they are tight and I believe safer to use if the wind can't grab ahold of a floppy edge or corner.

I have developed another SCAMP tent with one pole and another with three poles. These are for protected anchorages, generally light to moderate conditions. The one pole has virtually the same room as ther Voyager tent yet it has the complication of a pole.

In this latest version:
*Part of a system, which includes the Dry Floor Cloth and Mast Boot.
* The tent is in two sections allowing half tent use as an awning.
* There is no pole. The tent can stand on it's own but is designed to be
bungie corded up to the furled rig for more hard room and extreme
tautness.
* The design is low profile. Low profile means that windage issues (which can
be everything for the anchored out micro boat camper) are at the absolute
minimum.
* It is a multi pitch tent featuring 12 different pitch options. Yes 12.
* It can be used as a cockpit sunshade.

The first version I used in Chile was bone dry, quiet, warm, easy to set up and strike. This tent is the same material but with some interesting changes making it even better.

Nice to know there are folks out there who want to try small boat live aboard fun. Perhaps the ultimate in tiny house living.

Photos by Simeon Baldwin.
Congratulations on your new tent Simeon. I know it will serve you well.
Noddy Tent.jpg
Voyager Tent.jpg
Voyager tent inside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pocketyacht on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP Voyager Tent

Post by jhippe »

Hey Howard,

The Voyager tent looks awesome. Love the variability of set up and that it has no-seeum netting. I was just on your site and saw other items of interest. Got a ways to go on my Scamp but when I get closer to finishing, I fully intend on purchasing the Voyager Tent. What is the lead time for ordering to delivery?
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Howard, It would be great if you or Simeon could photograph the 12 different pitching modes to better understand the features and benefits of this invention. I for one, would love to see how it all works.
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
McKee
New Contributor

Post by McKee »

That looks amazing!
We get the new boat (bolger black skimmer) in a week and the first project I want to get done is the cockpit tent. We need a living room! I've built plenty of sails, but canvas work is trickier. I was planning to consult with SailRite, and see what they suggested.
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"