Scamp on Rotisserie?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

donyager
New Contributor

Scamp on Rotisserie?

Post by donyager »

Long ago I read about a person, a Brit I think, who mounted a Scamp under construction on two engine stands so he could rotate the hull to more easily work on it. That would save my back from some strain from bending into awkward positions. I have searched but can't find the post. Any info on how this worked out?
One more question. Some of the plywood on my Scamp has been coated with resin. Should I sand the epoxy before applying any more resin? From reading I understand that there would be a weaker mechanical adhesion between fresh epoxy and fully cured epoxy. It would be a lot of work to sand the resin off before any more joints are made. Thanks
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp on Rotisserie?

Post by pocketyacht »

Don
That would have been me who posted the device.

It was nicknamed the SCAMPinator and worked a charm. Old borrowed engine stand at the bow and a different set up at the transom based on an outdoor umbrella stand and strong support arms.

Wood cap for bow and transom, rotation hardware attached to these, all strapped together with ratchet straps. One finger could spin thhe boat 360 degrees, everything accessible right in front of the builder either standing or sitting on a stool. Multiple projects can go at one time, bottom, skegs, interior, etc.

The boat could easily be set down on carpet padded wood boxes when I wanted it flat and level, strap on the end caps and hoist it back up to spin position in minutes.

This rotation idea developed during the finish of a SCAMP Camp 2 boat, now sailing as Miss Peggy. A friend handled a phase of the build while I was in Micronesia. All credit to him for mechanical genius and collaboration on ideas of how to build a SCAMP more quickly and I must say enjoyably. Together we refined the device and used it. This is how to speed up the build a SCAMP.

SCAMP is not a complicated build, it is a very worthwhile time consuming build. Here is a way to speed the post planking (done on the jig) finishing of the boat.
SCAMP Rotator.jpg
Yes you need to "lightly" sand precoated and cured epoxy surfaces.
donyager wrote:Long ago I read about a person, a Brit I think, who mounted a Scamp under construction on two engine stands so he could rotate the hull to more easily work on it. That would save my back from some strain from bending into awkward positions. I have searched but can't find the post. Any info on how this worked out?
One more question. Some of the plywood on my Scamp has been coated with resin. Should I sand the epoxy before applying any more resin? From reading I understand that there would be a weaker mechanical adhesion between fresh epoxy and fully cured epoxy. It would be a lot of work to sand the resin off before any more joints are made. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.