Watertight volume?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Watertight volume?

Post by Rob Hazard »

Has anyone done a detailed calculation of the watertight volume in a standard SCAMP?
I have signed PUFFIN (#197) up for this year's Small Reach Regatta in Maine, and one of the questions they ask about new boats is the amount of watertight volume or flotation, in case of a capsize.
So I took a dozen measurements, did some scandalously rough estimation, scratched out some numbers on on a scrap of 2x4, and came up with about 30 cubic feet!

Then I thought "That CAN'T be right!"

And so I ask, has anyone actually taken all the measurements and done the math?
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Re: Watertight volume?

Post by Bchrovers »

Hi Rob, no clue on the answer. However, that trip sounds like a great warm up for Puffin and you to do the 2019 Everglades Challenge!

Marty
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Hey Marty,
The SRR is much closer in style to the Cedar Key gathering than to the Everglades Challenge. A lot of sailing around and chatting over meals, rather than a long distance competition. The scenery is more dramatic, though, and the water is colder!

I am still curious, however, whether anyone has ever done a proper volume calculation of the watertight spaces in a standard "as-drawn" SCAMP.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

You should ask on the SCAMP thread in Wooden Boat Forum, I think Welsford watches that more closely. Or, contact him thru his website, I bet he knows or wants to know now that the question has come up.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Good idea, Dana. Thanks!
Missed you at Cedar Key. Steve Haines was there, as was Marty, of course. We had 4 Scamps total!
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

I SO wanted to be there!! Did you meet Josh Colvin? FOUR SCAMPs! I sure missed a party. I'd love to see pictures.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Yes, I met Josh, and he was the speaker at dinner on Saturday.
The West Coast Trailer-Sailing Squadron website has a good collection of photos from the weekend, including multiple Scamp photos.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

John Welsford got back to me over on the WB forum and said he'd calculated the SCAMP's watertight volume as 0.82 cubic meters, which translates to 28.9 cubic feet.
This is much closer to my estimate than I had any hope of finding, given the roughness of my method. I will have to subtract for my footwell and one tiny space way aft which has been changed into an anchor rode locker, but that's minor.

Apparently PUFFIN will be the first SCAMP to attend the SRR. She should fit in just fine.