SCAMP Camp 2018

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Camp 2018

Post by pocketyacht »

Here is an update from SCA:

Small Craft Advisor Magazine
1 hr
Some exciting things happening at the Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan (SEAS) including their hosting a Howard Rice-run SCAMP Camp group build next month.

One of the new boats being built during the Camp is destined to become a very special SCAMP. Howard proposed the SCAMP design as a candidate for development as an "adaptable" small boat citing the attributes that make it stable and safe to sail.

During SCAMP Camp Howard is teaming up with the adaptive sailing experts at SEAS, and designer John Welsford from afar, to build a SCAMP modified as an adaptable small boat. The aim of building adaptive components into a stock SCAMP will be to create a boat capable of being safely sailed by sailors of varying abilities including the visually impaired, while it reamins a stock SCAMP when not on duty.

Beyond the SCAMP Camp, SEAS looks forward to developing as a Great Lakes center for small-craft education, while promoting the use of small boats for everyone. This is exciting news as SEAS is centrally located in the US and their mission is all about “Boating For Everyone.”

SCAMP Camp #11 begins June 11th and runs through June 22nd, 2018. As always the build is open to the public and SCAMP owners are welcome to stop by the build and encouraged to bring their boats for a hand in construction or just to share time with other SCAMP sailors. If you wish to bring your boat into SCAMP Camp please notify Howard at http://www.thepocketyacht.com
SEAS pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP Camp 2018

Post by pocketyacht »

SCAMP Camp is open to anyone who might like to stop by for a visit or bring in a SCAMP they are building or have built, a Gig harbor SCAMP or no SCAMP at all. This Camp will be quite informative as we will build new boats, work n a half completed boat and buikld spars.

Currently there are five boats coming in and my boat SCAMP #2 will also be there on the water for folks to take a look at and with a little notice perhaps get aboard for a sail.

Everyone is welcome to stop in.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Aloha from Wisconsin! I will certainly try to make it over to Sheboygan to say “hi” and see the SCAMPs being built. The SCAMP “Argo” , after a long build, is scheduled to be launched in Wisconsin next Sunday. I’m about an hour from Sheboygan and if I can get the schedule to work I will swing by during the camp, with the finished scamp on a trailer, to say “hey”. Was up there for a soccer game today. We like our bratwurst in Wisconsin, and even amongst Wisconsinites , Sheboygan is a bit of a Mecca for this hearty food of jovial folk in these parts. We would just call them brats, pronounced “brahts”; and if you are in Sheboygan you should have a couple, throw some kraut on the plate and some beer in the jug to round it out.

I will be in the Himalayas for a bit in early June and not sure if I will make it back in time, but I hope I do. I will consider it a missed opportunity if I don’t make it.

Exciting to see my home state participating in the fun,

-Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Greetings,

I drove over to brand new facility of the Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan (SEAS) in Sheboygan Wisconsin, a town which is situated on the western shore of Lake Michigan. It was a real pleasure to meet the SCAMP building crew, including the folks from SEAS who were very skilled and friendly. I was impressed by the cleanliness, quality, and efficiency of the SCAMP construction that was underway. As a solo-builder, it was an eye opener to see how "many hands make light work" and how quickly the hulls come together in a group-building environment. The SEAS facility was perfectly laid out, spacious, tidy, and well lit (not to mention outfitted with a fine woodworking shop). It is a brand new purpose-built facility for a broad sailing and marine education program, along with full service facilities. Congrats to the new SCAMP builders, and also congrats to SEAS on the opening of the new facility.

Thank you to Geoff Rudolph (Exec Director SEAS), Howard Rice (SCAMP Builder and Sailor Extraordinaire), the SCAMP Campers, and SEAS crew, for your hospitality and for letting me hang out and see the work.
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Jason
It was great to meet you. Thank you for coming by. Thanks for bringing Argo too.
Jason Builder wrote:Greetings,

I drove over to brand new facility of the Sailing Education Association of Sheboygan (SEAS) in Sheboygan Wisconsin, a town which is situated on the western shore of Lake Michigan. It was a real pleasure to meet the SCAMP building crew, including the folks from SEAS who were very skilled and friendly. I was impressed by the cleanliness, quality, and efficiency of the SCAMP construction that was underway. As a solo-builder, it was an eye opener to see how "many hands make light work" and how quickly the hulls come together in a group-building environment. The SEAS facility was perfectly laid out, spacious, tidy, and well lit (not to mention outfitted with a fine woodworking shop). It is a brand new purpose-built facility for a broad sailing and marine education program, along with full service facilities. Congrats to the new SCAMP builders, and also congrats to SEAS on the opening of the new facility.

Thank you to Geoff Rudolph (Exec Director SEAS), Howard Rice (SCAMP Builder and Sailor Extraordinaire), the SCAMP Campers, and SEAS crew, for your hospitality and for letting me hang out and see the work.