40 sets of plans sold - how is everybody getting on

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: 40 sets of plans sold - how is everybody getting on

Post by Peter E »

Well I think there are at least 41 plans sold. I ordered the other day and am patiently waiting. This looks like it is going to be a fun adventure.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

John,

Just to amplify and perhaps clarify Josh's comments re those under cockpit sole dry compartments, here is a photo and a few comments.

Refer to Sheet-4 of the plans:

Bulkhead-6 (B-6) has 2 lightening/ventilation cut-outs either side of the centerline. It also has quarter-circle cut-outs at either side of the under-sole part of B-6 at the seat longitudinal/hull bottom area.

These 4 opening provide ventilation/moisture drainage between compartments B-5/B-6 and B-6/B-7. Storage access to B-5/B-6 is provided by a cockpit sole access plate/hatch just aft of B-5, and outside air circulation access for both compartments when the boat is out of the water and the plate left open. These two compartments are also joined to the aft most one of B-7/B-8

Bulkhead-7 has ventilation/drainage cut-outs either side of the centerline on the bottom of B-7 up against the hull. The result of all this is under cockpit sole ventilation/drainage in the dry areas spanning B-5, B-6, B-7 & B-8, but only decent storage in compartment B-5/B-6. Perhaps this can all be seen in the attached photos.

Because of the hull bottom rocker, any moisture (hatch seepage, condensation etc) that gets into this under cockpit sole area (from B-5 aft to B-8) should make its way forward to the low point just aft of B-5. From there it can be sponged up through the access plate.

If you wished to use the volume of the B-6/B-7 compartment for additional dry-storage, then another cockpit sole access plate/hatch would be needed. SCAMP has a huge amount of storage already and so I can't foresee this smaller extra volume being necessary. Of course, it would be very easy to retrofit an access hatch at a later date.

Well done with your excellent 1:5 model. I think that would be a very helpful addition if such a kit could be offered at a low-cost.

Hope this is helpful,

Simeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Many thanks for the first photo above in particular Simeon. I had overlooked to two small triangular pieces between B7 and B8. - John
teredo
New Contributor

Post by teredo »

I've just cut out the first piece for #32 from some left over pieces of 9mm ply from the restoration of a SF Pelican. Realistically I'm guessing about two years to completion based on past projects. I'd love to be able to be able to camp cruise to the Port Townsend for the 2013 Wooden Boat Show. (Or least haul it to Port Ludlow and sail it the rest of the way.)
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Good news! The first step is the hardest to take.

I've just taken mine on my own SCAMP (#11) kit build and am working on the rudder, with centerboard to follow. As Josh said, "there's no turning back now"

Keep us posted as you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11