gluing down sole, 5200 at tank?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

gluing down sole, 5200 at tank?

Post by dndrich »

SCAMPers:

Finally back building #330. So pleased. Long hiatus from a C6 pinched nerve. I'm back, baby!

At the stage where my sole is about to go down. I will use cabosil glue for every cleat, but wonder about gluing the area around the tank. I believe John Welsford has recommended skipping glue in that spot, and using 5200 instead. Thoughts here?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: gluing down sole, 5200 at tank?

Post by Derek »

I used both! Epoxy on the outboard glue surface, and a ton of 5200 on the inboard glue surface. (then ended up moving away from water ballast and installing a piece of railroad for ballast).

-Derek
Liberty 53

GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

I have a question related to gluing.

First, I realize that anytime you are gluing something to an epoxy coated surface you must use epoxy.

I plan to build my centerboard and rudder using multiple pieces of 6mm ply. A hole will be cut in the center 2 pieces to accept the 1/2 inch steel plate prior to gluing all the pieces together. $25 for two pieces of steel plate vs messing with melting lead seemed like a no-brainer. Once all of the pieces are glued together and shaped the entire board gets encased in Epoxy & Fiberglass. So is there any reason why I can't use a good quality exterior grade wood glue to join the pieces of Plywood? Also would there be any reason why the same wood glue could not be used to join un-coated plywood pieces, such as the cockpit sole doubler or the transom doubler?
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

I glued down the sole base with 5200 around the tank, and epoxy glue everywhere else. It worked well. Time will tell if the tank leaks!

Regarding using wood glue, might be a good idea to start a new thread with that very question, or post in the Wooden Boat forum. More viewers there.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA