sole doubler filling holes

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

sole doubler filling holes

Post by dndrich »

SCAMPers:

About to glue down the sole doubler. It has a bunch of vent holes drilled into it so that the glue has no voids. What is the best stuff to fill the holes with? In the past I have used some of my fillet mix, but that stuff is really tough, and hard to sand flush and fair. Would just using 410 microballoons be strong enough for the sole? If so, the stuff sands perfectly fair.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Re: sole doubler filling holes

Post by dndrich »

Nobody? Well, I decided to fill with 407. We'll see how that works out.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Daniel
Just saw this. Fill the holes with silica (WEST 406) mixed in epoxy. Flatten off the top and if when cured the holes have depressed a bit just finish them off with a bit of left over fillet mix or glue.
dndrich wrote:Nobody? Well, I decided to fill with 407. We'll see how that works out.
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

pocketyacht wrote:Daniel
Just saw this. Fill the holes with silica (WEST 406) mixed in epoxy. Flatten off the top and if when cured the holes have depressed a bit just finish them off with a bit of left over fillet mix or glue.
dndrich wrote:Nobody? Well, I decided to fill with 407. We'll see how that works out.
Ah Howard! So glad you are here. Back building #330 again. So happy. Anyway, my experience filling with 406 is the stuff is like impossible to sand!!! So, I used 407. I figure where it is it should be structural enough in the sole with 1/4 inch holes. And, the holes are only in the doubler, not into the sub area. They should be easier to sand. Now, 406 will be super strong, and I guess I will use it for through holes in the future. Making progress!! I can actually see the end from where I look now.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA