SCAMP expedition in Florida

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Watermark
New Contributor

SCAMP expedition in Florida

Post by Watermark »

My wife and I are planning to drive the long haul down to Florida from Oregon this winter like we did last year and want to do an extended SCAMP cruise. We were wondering if any other SCAMP sailors or likewise dinghy cruisers would be interested in joining us for all or part of the trip.
At this stage we are thinking of launching in St. Augustine (where we lived before moving to OR) and sailing the Intracoastal south the the Keys.
Last winter we took a Montgomery 17 from Miami to Marathon Key but the weather was pretty marginal last year. We are hoping this year for less of the small craft advisories and SCAMP being shallower draft and beachable than the M17 means a potentially easier time of it since we sail with a small terrier as navigator and he likes his shore time.
Just thought I’d throw it out there to see if there’s interest. We may also on the way stop for a few days to cruise the st. joe Bay Area as well.
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP expedition in Florida

Post by Bchrovers »

Sounds interesting, would love to be kept up to date of your plans. Doubt I could do the entire trip, but perhaps parts. Also, you may want to consider joining the cruise starting on March 2nd from Ft Desito beach and finishing in Key Largo a week later. Would be great to have another SCAMP there.
Watermark
New Contributor

Post by Watermark »

Hi Bchrovers, I’ll update things here as we get closer to getting to St. Augustine around Dec 1st. In the winter the prevailing winds come out of the north which will be nice heading south towards the keys.
The event you’re referring to I’m guessing is the Watertribe Everglades challenge. When we lived in Florida before moving to Oregon I wanted to do the race and even bought a nice Wayfarer 16 to do the race but left FL before having a chance to do it. I know SCAMPS have done the race but where I’m at currently is I’m fundamentally a tourist/cruiser and have no interest in sailing/rowing balls out for days on end and my wife has even less inclination towards it. Mainly I like my 7-8 hours of sleep at night and don’t like to hurry through what I came to see and experience.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Looking forward to seeing your itinerary. Sounds like a great trip.

Eric