SØSYG - Scamp # 460 removable Centerboard bolt

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

SØSYG - Scamp # 460 removable Centerboard bolt

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Scampers,

finally after as lot of f***** coating and sanding i started gluing my Scamp together. Lots more fun :D

I didn't like the plans suggestion for the CB bolt very much because i had some concerns for screws in the CB box surrounded with water all time. Furthermore i feared not to get the bolt out after some time. :(

Looking for a better alternative, I found a lot of more or less complicated solutions here in this forum (thanks for sharing, guys!).

So I want to share with you how i did it finally(see pic below).
cb_screw.jpg
The threadlocker (e.g. Loctite 243, typically blue) is to prevent the bolt gets loose by the friction of the centerboard beeing hauled up and down. It also stops water infiltrating the thread and causing corrosion there. And though stainless steel and brass aren't bad partners, there may be some electrolytic corrosion after a while particular for those riding theyr SCAMP in seawater.
Don't use shaft locking adhesive (usually green) - you may have problems to get the bolt out if needed!

It's a very easy way to get things done: sturdy, waterthight, easy to build and good to remove as well: When turning out the screw with a ratchet the neck of the screw gets exposed until it's threat is out of the sb- bushing (the one on starboard with the thread inside). Now there are well 20mm shaft accessable to pull the screw out, what easily can be achived with a lever under the screw's head.

Any comments or reservations on that idea?

best, Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Re: SØSYG - Scamp # 460 removable Centerboard bolt

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Guys, after 4 years of use: no complaints ;-)