SCAMP Masthead Radar Reflector / Floatation

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

SVLastTry
New Contributor

SCAMP Masthead Radar Reflector / Floatation

Post by SVLastTry »

A large part of my coastal and inland sailing area is the Intercoastal waterway. Now that I have SCAMP 347 I need to purchase and mount a new radar reflector. At the same time I am looking into floatation for the masthead or the sail spar. Does any current SCAMP owner have suggestions on radar reflectors or masthead/spar floatation that could be mounted on a SCAMP?

Regards,

Jude SCAMP #347
Mermentau River @ Lake Arthur - Louisiana, USA
Timo
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP Masthead Radar Reflector / Floatation

Post by Timo »

Here is a do-it-yourself masthead floatation solution:

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/W ... tation.pdf

There have been few radar reflector tests which conclude that passive radar reflectors aren't that effective. Still, the octahedral ones are popular among dinghy sailors.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Sounds like you have a complete boat. If so this tip isn't helpful, perhaps for others building a spar. When I build hollow birds mouth spars I loosely bunch up aluminum foil and place it inside the mast before final closure. This has been tested and lets show the spar itself becomes an effective radar reflector.
stevecanaga
Regular Contributor

Post by stevecanaga »

Howard -- on the trick with the aluminium (or is it al-u-mini-um?) foil, are you putting the foil in the entire mast or perhaps just at the top portion? Asking for my build. thanks
...be happy...
Steve Canaga
Scamp #332 - Emerald Odessey
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Steve
Just seeing your post. I put loosely crumpled up foil in all the mast above the cabin top.
Lachie88
New Contributor

Post by Lachie88 »

In my cruising around Asia, I never relied on my radar reflector. In conversations with cargo ships passing by sometimes they saw me others they didn't. The most effective was a pen laser which I would flash across the bridge whereupon the cargo vessel would acknowledge my existence and would find me on the radar in good weather, heavy weather not on the screen. Costs b all and very good.
Winter_Hawk
New Contributor

Post by Winter_Hawk »

I first read of the idea of crumpled aluminum foil in the mast in one of the books by Lin & Larry Pardey. They said they did it after finding that the normal radar reflectors didn't work very well. What I remember, they talked to various commercial vessels later who said the foil gave a consistent, fright blip on the radar screen.

Unfortunately, this won't work with an aluminum mast....