Red Lantern Rally 2019

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

broblodke
Regular Contributor

Re: Red Lantern Rally 2019

Post by broblodke »

Sounds great! On my calendar and hoping the fates align that I can join.

-Brice
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I’ll be participating in the Palooza & Crooza as well as the Salish 100 so either works for me as a tie in to the Red Lantern Rally. I know we’ll have SCAMPs at both events.

One of the purposes of the Rally as I see it, is for SCAMPers to have fun and show off. Equally important is as a venue for new owners and potential owners to climb aboard and take demo rides on a unique small craft.

With that in mind, perhaps a pre-Palooza Rally at Mystery Bay might be best. I could be persuaded to have Noddy at the dock as early as Wednesday July 17 for show and tell and demos.

Simeon

Photo of Noddy (far right) tearing downwind at 5 kts in the Feb 23 Shipwrights’ Regatta.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Post by ElHeffe »

I missed last years RLR. I'd like to make it this year. I think July will work for me.
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Good news, Simeon! Glad to see evidence of you out there... represent! (Noddy sure looks small against that fleet.) I’m still working on my footwell mod, and quite jealous of your early season sailing. Looking forward to seeing you this summer.

Hey, Jeff, sure hope to see you at the Rally!!

Cheers,
Dale
Bluster
Regular Contributor

Post by Bluster »

Newly launched SCAMP #434 'Fib' will be attending the Rally, Palooza and Crooza this year.
Looking forward to meeting fellow SCAMPers and other small boaters!
Randy
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Good stuff, Randy!! Looking forward to seeing your #434 in the water.

My footwell & lazerette mod is moving along, painting now, can't wait to get in the water.

Cheers,
Dale
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

Hey Dale,
I'm right there with you on the footwell mod. Isn't it amazing how that hole in the floor changes the comfort of the boat? I've cut and finished the sleeping boards to cover the well, and am covering the holes into the aft compartment in case I happen to fill the well with water, and then some non-skid and paint and a few dry runs to get the gear settled in the right places, and away we go. This 100 has been a good catalyst to finally get things in practical places for voyaging, and I'll be testing my three tiny outboards to see which to take on the Salish. Good to be back in touch with this group of boaters, and I'm excited to see how many Scamps are at the start of the 100.
Off to buy another tool.....
Mike Moore #170, TOR
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hello all,

Salish 100 was a blast! Six Scamps attended: Josh and his cousin Tim in SCAMP #1; Simeon in NODDY #11; myself with Keith Nasman co-piloting in LUNA #162; Mike in TOR #170; Sergei in SERENITY #291, and, Samantha plus crew in KERFUFFLE a Gig Harbor Scamp. An excellent cruise with so many nice boats and so many nice folks.

Looking forward to the Rally in a few weeks!! My wife (Filleting Queen) Chris and I will be launching LUNA at Boat Haven about 11am on the 18th, and sailing over to Mystery Bay that afternoon. Overnight there for two nights, and sail back to PT on the morning of the 20th to catch the "Palooza." We'll also "Crooza" on Sunday and Monday in the area, perhaps Mats Mats Bay? (So far, there's no organized float plan for the "Croosa" this year, but I'm sure we'll come up with something fun.) We'll see you there...

Cheers,
Dale
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Lit'l Tike (#70) will be down from Victoria. I am coming down the weekend before so if there are any other boats around early that want to go for a sail let me know and we can meet up. In the water for 3 years and still don't know how to sail. Every time I hit the water in Victoria the wind leaves the area so am sort of experienced at drifting. Seems to a lot of big boat folks up here but not a lot of small boat sailors.
Every time I hit the Rally I seem to double my lifetime sailing hours so should be fun. Last year I learned that landing at the fishermans ramp at the Marine Center with the rudder and Center board down, and then falling off the trailer tongue while loading, is great entertainment for the locals.
Also good to follow Serge in Serenity through the shallows into Mystery Bay as he has a window to the soul - or is that window in his sole - and can watch the bottom coming up.
I may head over to Mystery Bay on Tuesday or Wednesday and then sail out to meet Dale for the sail back on Thursday morning. There are two yellow hullled SCAMPS out there - Serges has a great yellow canopy and mine has red and black trim and looks a bit odd as I raised the cuddly top a bit.

See you in a couple of weeks
Dan