footwells in SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

miguelito.2
New Contributor

footwells in SCAMP

Post by miguelito.2 »

Hi All,
I'm preparing to start the spring work on TOR, my SCAMP, and one task I have to decide on is whether or not to cut the floor and add a footwell. I remember standing in the unfinished hull and wondering why there needed to be a floor in the first place, but I've also found the existing floor to be a perfect base for a good comfortable sleep when cruising. Does anyone have any advice pro or con about taking this step of cutting out part of the floor? I realize I'll need to make a plug for sleeping, and will need to add some sort of bilge pump, so I want to make sure the end product: comfort underway, is worth the work.
Looking forward to joining the other 199 boats on the inaugural Salish 100! I know of at least five SCAMPs going, and there'll probably be quadruple that number, I hope.
Cheers,
Mike Moore #170 TOR
Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: footwells in SCAMP

Post by Derek »

Hey Mike,

You will LOVE the footwell. Sitting while sailing is way more comfortable. Sanding in it is also incredible. It also makes for a great foot hold when rowing. You can lay in a hammock with your bottom a bit in the foot well, Seat tops are perfect shelf hight. When in a tent on anchor the "Cabin" feels much larger with the sunken well.

You'll never regret it.

-Derek

Liberty 53
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Mike
Do it. I conceived of the footwell and haven't looked back. Many boats like Dereks have footwells now. Ergonomics and lower CG is why I came up with the idea in the first place and I can't think of two better reasons to have one. Everyone I know of who has built one in or retro fitted a footwell (I have retrofitted several for sailors and consulted on others) is pleased with the change. I wouldn't want a SCAMP without a footwell. The drop boards are easy and you can even sail with them in if you desire although this said I can not think of a reason to do so.

I also wouldn't add any bailing device to the footwell. I went to the extreme end of bailing in my boat as where I sailed on her initial voyage dictated the possible need for massive water removal and fast. Glad I did and am now removing the two Venturi bailers as they are no longer needed. I would suggest retrofitting the footwell and have a hand bailer and sponge on board.

Here is a photo of my footwell in SCAMP #2. FYI. I only carried one of thew two drop boards on a trip I made in Chile as two make for a nice closed footwell but one works just as well for sleeping and has the advantage of allowing you to wake up scorch aft a tad and put your feet in the footwell without going to contortions to remove one of them. This means I can wake up and immediately sit up with ease.
Untitled-1.jpg
Here is one in a boat I built for someone.
Untitled4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Mike, if you still need more convincing, I will add my testimony regarding the footwell. Do it, it makes this design so much better in the multiple ways discussed above. I've had one Scamp with and one Scamp without a footwell. I absolutely love the footwell and cannot think of a single disadvantage. Just do it!!

Best,
Brent
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

OK, that settles it! Footwell it is, and thanks to you all for the advice and pics. Thanks also, Howard, advising me to keep it simple when it comes to bailing. I think I've made progress in the "don't overthink it" mode over the build and re-build of TOR, having to undo things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but turned into trouble. I'll study the photos you've generously sent, and charge up the saw and try not to make any holes where they shouldn't be, and hopefully see you other foot-wellers at the 100!
Thanks again,
Mike Moore, TOR #170
ElHeffe
Regular Contributor

Post by ElHeffe »

The only problem with the footwells is storing the sleeping boards. I cut mine into two pieces and store them in the cabin and it works ok. You might consider 4 boards with stiffeners and storing them somehow under the side decks.
PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

Thanks,
I've found some boards in my lumber stack that I plan to cut into strips like the Ikea bed boards so I can roll them up. I'll glass both sides so they are reinforced but not too thick, and apply some seatbelt webbing to keep them in one roll, and see what happens. Fun to experiment with these things that are easy to throw away and start over if not a success. A friend of mine built a whole boat with the idea that if she didn't like it, it would make a good beach fire.......
See you in late June for the 100? What a hoot that is going to be!
Mike
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hey Mike, I bit the bullet early this year and cut a hole in my boat, too. I'm putting in the lazarette also, so it's quite a bit of fiddling. Sure wish I did it during the original build, it's somewhat painful to be grinding into a perfectly good paint job!

Hope to re-launch before the end of this month, and look forward to seeing you in the Salish 100.

Cheers,
Dale
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

Great to hear from you Dale,
I'm putting in a full day finishing the "hole" today and then have some serious painting to do along with finally getting all the proper safety gear ready for the 100. If you have any of the Russell Brown large hatches in your seats, I just discovered that Costco sells a "Coho" soft cooler that just slides through the opening and could possibly provide a place to keep beer cool on the slog north.
That is going to be some flotilla of pocket yachts, and of course a good Scamp Race.
See you there!
Mike