Wood flour alternatives

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

steve71
Regular Contributor

Wood flour alternatives

Post by steve71 »

Hi, I was wondering if there were any alternatives to using wood flour as a filler for making epoxy glue. I have tried using water putty in its dry powder form with silica but not happy with its lack of ability to hold without sagging. Is it just a case of putting more silica with it? When I use the 70/30 mix ratio as used with the wood flour to silica recipe I find it is just not holding even though its consistancy is like peanut butter.

Can Durhams water putty be used as a filler? (just in case nothing else is readily available?)
Last edited by steve71 on Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Re: Wood flour alternatives

Post by Rob Hazard »

Gougeon Bros have a whole selection of fillers that can be blended to produce exactly the properties you want. I know that West Marine and Hamilton Marine both carry the entire range. Your local marine supply probably does as well.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Many thanks for your reply!
drascombe1980
New Contributor

Post by drascombe1980 »

Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat sells a thickened epoxy that is wood colored, in a nice caulk cartridge. Saves a lot of time but costs more, plus you get the right consistency mix every time.
OliVDB5590
New Contributor

Post by OliVDB5590 »

I've used TotalBoat's wood colored epoxy for different uses, some heavy duty, and it never failed me; I can recommend it without hesitating!