SCAMP #15 making progress

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

julie
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP #15 making progress

Post by julie »

Hey John!

Thanks for providing photos of your build. Just wanted to let you know that I've found this thread helpful- I'm in the process of picking out seat hatch locations, and your sweet beveled-edged hatches look great. I'll be stealing that idea, so thanks!

How goes the build?
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

G'day Julie

Just finished the basic work on the spars and will be painting them in the next day or two. I will try and post photos shortly. Just have the bulwarks to install and deck to paint, then she is about done. Oh yah, I will also have a go at adding a modification to the mast trunk in the form of the "pole vault plant" entry. Its bitter sweet coming to the end of the build as I have enjoyed it so much, but I am really looking forward to getting her on the water !

Cheers - John
Last edited by Tasman on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Just an update to my last post with some photos of the spars & foils. The tiller arm is made from a wonderful piece of Huon Pine (Lagarostrobos Franklinii) which was probably a sapling when William of Normandy stepped ashore in England way back in 1066. For many years this piece of timber formed part of a friends greenhouse which was recently pulled down. It would be wonderful to know the whole story behind this small piece of wood !

Cheers - John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
julie
Regular Contributor

Post by julie »

If wood could talk, indeed! If your tiller could speak, I'm sure it'd be pleased by its new occupation. :)

Congratulations on your progress! Your foils and your spars look great.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

G'day Folks

Here is an update to show how am intending to rig the boat. Pretty standard stuff using a blend of the recommended approach in the plans and some things from Michael Storers blog on rigging the balanced lug http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html. I have used his approach with rigging the main halyard. The second major departure I have made is to place the first reef on one side of the boom and the second reef on the opposite side. This seems logical from a construction point of view, but my lack of heavy weather sailing experience may rapidly be made apparent the first time the wind really gets up. Please let me know if you spot an obvious "gotcha" with this approach.

Cheers - John Hall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Halyard details as follows: Note the main halyard is made off to the forward end of the yard and not to the middle of the yard as shown on the plans.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

The Red Scamp is rigged according to the method that Michael Storer recommends for rigging a balanced lug. We were fortunate enough to have Michael Storer out in our backyard and boat shop all weekend, presenting a program on sailing, rigging a balanced lug sail.

This was for Sail Oklahoma 2012 which just ended.

Anyone sailing a lug sail would benefit from Michael's advice.

Mike Monies- The Red Scamp
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Post by johnmcneely »

Mike is Mr Storer's advice published online somewhere so I could consult it?

~John
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

You can go to his website, www.storerboats.com and look under the Goat Island Skiff or google for lug sails under his name. He also has a lot of information about lug sails with his Oz Racer which also uses them.

We videoed Michael Storers presentation here but not sure how well anything will edit yet. It was done by one of our members who is a professional videographer, along with his professor and some other students.

Mike Monies also suggested going to www.duckworksmagazine.com and google lug sails and look under Michael Storer in the designer section on DW.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Also check out the link I placed above. Here it is again.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html

Cheers - John