SCAMP #15 making progress

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Re: SCAMP #15 making progress

Post by Editors »

Looking great, John! I love your recessed hatches. Interesting mod to the sumps. Keep the photos coming.

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

G'day All

Have just built the cockpit movable seat, when completed it will have a set of fiddles on the underside to allow that to be used as a tray/table in the cockpit.

Using the anchor points in the modified sump I have just lashed up an idea for a rowing foot brace. I would be interested in comments and feedback on this idea. I hope the photos explain it well enough.

Cheers - John Hall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

That rowing set-up looks great. You'll be able to do some serious work with the oars when needed.

You might consider routing some fore/aft shallow channels on the sides of the thwart near the seat top edges. That might help divert any water run off that made it to the thwart and keep your derrière from getting wet.

Good work -
Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

G'day Simeon

Thanks for the positive comment about the setup. A dry derrière will be a high priority, do you have an example image of what you are talking about with the fore/aft channels ?

Cheers - John
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I had something like this in mind but after reviewing your artful work on the seat hatch and cockpit sole drain channels, I'm sure you can do better.

It may tend to weaken the seat somewhat but the fiddles on the other side would probably offset the effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Thanks Simeon, that gives me something to think about.

Cheers - John
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

G'day Folks

Just completed glueing on the chine clamps yesterday. Jumped the gun a bit by glueing on the cabin top. That was a mistake - follow the sequence set out in the builders instructions on this one !! I will be putting on the deck in the next few days, then I need some willing volunteers to help turn her over !

Cheers - John
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Photo shows hull finally completed including skegs, ready for a paint job. Topsides only the bulwarks to fit round the side of the cockpit. It was easier to turn her over in the slings without them in place. The slings are the orange webbing just visible in the top left of the image. Hook for sling is visible with white bag hanging on it. Bow eye proved very useful during turning, hooked up to the mainsheet tackle. Also have an eye bolt port and starboard on the transom rigged to a tackle each. They will work well for the trailer tie down points later.
Last edited by Tasman on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

A few more photos showing skegs with kevlar tape and C/B

Cheers - John
Last edited by Tasman on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

Rudder and stock showing bronze fittings etc:

Cheers - John