Login | Register

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Major Contributor

Roger, that's a darn good idea. These bookshelves would be the perfect test since they aren't structural in any way.

Dan, you'll have no problem with puttying over those screw heads with epoxy and fairing it. That's exactly what I did with the seat cleats on the transom. Those got done before the flipping and bottom work.

SCAMP Zephyr #161

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Hey Dale, Keith, et al,

I did my cleats months ago and I screwed them all other than the ones over the centreboard trunk. I pre-placed small pieces of scotch tape by the holes and then put a big blob of thickened epoxy on each screw as it went in.
As the screw tightened the epoxy oozed out the back and filled the holes. Covered it with the tape to smooth it out, waited 24 hours and pulled the tape and sanded. I bet it took way less time and was easier on the nerves than putting pressure on with clamps and waiting for the cleat to move.

My only concern with the screws being left in is the remote possibility that with time, and the continual pounding of the hull on huge seas as we race across the sound at breathtaking speeds, that the screws may back out a bit leaving a crack or dimple in the finish. No big deal on cleats but would not look so great on the outside of the hull.

How did you guys hold the skegs to the hull as the epoxy dried?

Cheers,

Dan

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Dan, Dale, Keith, Roger, et al -

A trick I've used to keep stuff from sliding around when gluing with wedges/clamps is to drill through the piece to be mounted with a 1/16" bit and insert the skinniest wire nail that will fit with some friction. Leave the sharp tip proud about 1/16" and tap it into the substrate. That will keep the piece from sliding around. If you have any issue removing them because of glue, heating with a torch or soldering iron will easily remove it.

Simeon

Voyaging with Noddy, #11

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Paint issues

I had mentioned in a previous post that I had some issues between epoxy and paint. After I had put on my primer, everything seemed fine. Then I applied my first coat of oil paint and it would not dry over some of the fillets. I had washed the surfaces down after sanding even though I had not seen any obvious blush, but that was several months back after putting the planks on. After doing some internet searching I decided the issue was with the continued production of amines from the fillets even after the initial blush was removed. Apparently if the humidity and temperature are right, they can leach for months. I assume it only happened over the fillets as they are much thicker and therefore produce more amines. So my choice was either to sand off all the paint, rescrub the epoxy and start again or try a fix I found on wooden boat forum. They suggested trying Cobalt Drier. This is a compound used by artists to get their oil paints to dry faster. I talked to my paint supplier and they also use it on occasion when they get a batch of paint that has drying issues. They add the stuff to the cans and it solves the issues. The suggestion was that if you add enough drier to the next coat of paint, it allows the 1st coat to dry and bond as well. Apparently it binds with the amines to allow drying to occur.
I added the Drier to my paint at 6 drops to the ounce and put on another coat. Worked perfectly. Second coat dried normally and areas that were tacky are now solid. Thank goodness!

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments:
File comment: This is the stuff. It was about $8 so a very inexpensive fix. It is quite toxic and a skin irritant so cover up and use a respirator while mixing
DSCF3406.jpg
DSCF3406.jpg [ 38.57 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Electrical system

I wanted to instal as much of the wiring and electrical as possible before closing up the seats and cabin. Never done this before but between buying a few books and some good advice from fellow builders it seems to work. Please let me know if you see a flaw in the system.

Attachments:
File comment: Most of the wire is 16G marine wire. All the connections were crimped and covered with heat shrink
DSCF3407.jpg
DSCF3407.jpg [ 31 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Bilge pump installed in the side of the starboard upright behind bulkhead 7. Hose runs up through top of bulkhead 7. Wires run through all bulkheads in a piece of Pex pipe that was shown previously. I covered all openings with marine silicone after installing parts as I figured it would allow some flex and make it possible to remove things later if needed.
DSCF3408.jpg
DSCF3408.jpg [ 32.88 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Bilge hose attached to through hull that enters the centreboard trunk via bulkhead 6.
DSCF3409.jpg
DSCF3409.jpg [ 24.71 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Electrical continued

Attachments:
File comment: I installed a backing plate on the stb side of bulkhead 3 above the battery box. It sits just above the battery switch and has 6 fuses and acts as a bus as well.
DSCF3413.jpg
DSCF3413.jpg [ 43.64 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Then ran wires up to the switch panel for various lights and bilge pump. All are color coded so I can track them later if needed.
DSCF3414.jpg
DSCF3414.jpg [ 50.54 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Covered the back of the switch box to get the wires out of the way. Wires going through bulkhead are for porch lights and one going into mast box is for masthead light
DSCF3416.jpg
DSCF3416.jpg [ 47.09 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Recognized Old Salt

More electrical

Attachments:
File comment: Porch LED lights. Mounted at the roofline and angled out towards the centre of the overhang. Please ignore the fact that the switch panel is installed upside down. Hopefully will remember to flip it on final install
DSCF3410.jpg
DSCF3410.jpg [ 42.89 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: LED light for cabin space
DSCF3419.jpg
DSCF3419.jpg [ 32.67 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Light and bracket installed between original roof braces. Brackets above are for new roof braces on my higher roof and other wire is for navigation lights that will be mounted on leading edge of cabin top.
DSCF3420.jpg
DSCF3420.jpg [ 40.88 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Last electrical for tonight

Attachments:
File comment: Cabin storage area lit up
DSCF3422.jpg
DSCF3422.jpg [ 31.7 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
File comment: Porch lights and interior light both on (seperate switches). Sorry for the fuzzy shot.
DSCF3428.jpg
DSCF3428.jpg [ 31.45 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Top Top

Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Gluing up the deck

Attachments:
File comment: I pondered whether to epoxy these pieces before or after glue up and decided it would be easier to get a good flat surface if I glued them together 1st. In retrospect not a great idea because the final deck is very awkward to handle for one person. Also too big for my table so will have to figure where to put it to epoxy it. Hopefully it will quit raining so can be done outside. I glued up the joints and then clamped them together by screwing scraps of wood across the joint. One clamp in the middle to prevent bowing. Had to do one side at a time. Those who commented previously on the neatness of my build may want to note the table.
DSCF3430.jpg
DSCF3430.jpg [ 55.34 KiB | Viewed 1275 times ]
File comment: Trying to get the deck on for a dry fit was exciting. Kind of like trying to hold out a wet noodle. I made a couple of cross braces with scrap cedar strips
DSCF3431.jpg
DSCF3431.jpg [ 56.19 KiB | Viewed 1275 times ]
File comment: Another scrap down the middle and I can easily take the deck off on on by myself
DSCF3433.jpg
DSCF3433.jpg [ 52.57 KiB | Viewed 1275 times ]

Top Top

Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Recognized Old Salt

More oozing epoxy

Attachments:
File comment: I pulled my sole out today to do a few finishing touches and then glue it down. The bottom side of the hatch backing plates had received two final coats of epoxy and then were left without washing or sanding as they were never to see the light of day. When I pulled it off the plates were covered in an oily film as you can see by the fingerprints in the photo. Washed off with water but took 2 scrubs to get it all. Will be washing everything down in future.
DSCF3434.jpg
DSCF3434.jpg [ 34.82 KiB | Viewed 1274 times ]

Top Top