#70 - an amateur kit build

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Re: #70 - an amateur kit build

Post by Bcbimmer »

Rigging. I will do a photo essay of my rigging. These are pretty much as shown on the original manual and I will try and point out areas where improvement has been suggested. I am taking these from my own point of view as a total non sailors welcome any comments from the gallery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More rigging. Here is where I get to show off my biggest oops on the build. No matter how many times you look at the plans and measure and remeasure, something is going to come out wrong. In the end my spar was 4 inches too short. Rather than being able to drill holes in either end to tie the sail to, I ended up adding stainless eye bolts to either end as attachment points. Will probably build another one the right length at some point. It does the job for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

The boom
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Port side of boom
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More boom
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Downhaul and halyard
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More rigging
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

So that is pretty much it. It has been fun and hopefully of some benefit to other builders out there. My few days of sailing have been an adventure but have met a great group of people. There is an amazing amount of stuff to remember and do out there on the water. Now I need to get out and sail her which will entail a cry for help from any small boat sailers in my area who want to ride along. I suspect there must be a group of dedicated small boat sailers in the Victoria area somewhere. If only Port Townsend was not a $500 return trip away.
Hopefully future posts will chronicle the trials and tribulations of learning to sail.

Cheers and happy sailing

Dan
TheJamieBK
New Contributor

Post by TheJamieBK »

Thanks for all of the info and pics Dan. I'll be starting my build (435) in the coming months out in Sooke. Would love to get a close look at yours for inspirations :)
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Jamie

Glad to hear they may soon be another Island Scamp, hopefully at a faster pace than mine. Send me a private message and I will give you my contact info in North Saanich - always willing to help.

Cheers

Dan