#70 - an amateur kit build

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Re: #70 - an amateur kit build

Post by Bcbimmer »

Mike and Dave,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will show my true sailing ignorance here and admit I had to look up halyard. Anybody want to come sailing with me when I finish my build? I assume the halyard fitting is the cleat on the rooftop. I am putting in doublers under the deck for the side cleats but wonder if I am missing others. Any other hardware attachment points that I need to reinforce before I fasten down the deck?

Thanks

Dan
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Fibreglassing BH 3 and my extended mast box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Glassing the mast box extension
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

The carlins - I made my carlins out of 1 piece of yellow cedar and used a steamer to bend then as in a previous post. It has been at least 6 months since they were steamed and they are still holding their shape. One of the revisions on the original plans was to cut the carlins short at BH 2 rather than running them all the way to the bow. I decided to keep mine full length as I suspect sooner or later somebody is going to step on my bow and I thought a little extra support would be a good thing in that case
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Trimming the carlins - The plans call for using a plane to level the gunnels before installing the carlins. I waited and did both at once using a very sharp draw knife
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

The deck - coating the underside now that the supports are in. This is a very large piece to work with and I was trying to figure out how to rearrange the shop to lay it flat when it dawned on me that the boat was a ready made work platform.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Backing plates for the deck cleats

The cleats need more meat to attach to. Options include gluing them in before attaching the deck (which is likely the easy way) or attaching them to the deck before fastening it down, which is what I did. I wanted some way of holding the deck in position while I glued and screwed it without using a lot of clamps. Was going to be laying the deck by myself so would not have a lot of time to be clamping things.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Deck continued
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Attaching the backing plates
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Epoxying the holes for the cleats