#70 - an amateur kit build

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: #70 - an amateur kit build

Post by simeoniii »

Wow! A real looker. Can hardly wait until the 18th :D
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Hello all, hard to believe it has been over 2 years since a posting on #70's progress. Well life is never dull and there have been a few bumps along the way but she has actually made it to into the water a couple of times. I wanted to make it to the Scamp Skills course in August at Port Townsend (we are still talking 2015 here) so I installed all the hardware and threw a thick coat of epoxy over all the bare wood to keep it safe with the intention of finishing it all once I got back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

August 2015 - off to Port Townsend we go with boat in tow, not rigged as yet and mast and spars tied on as best we can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

She floats!

So the idea was that I would return home, make some adjustments, finish all the brightwork and be off sailing.

I returned to Port Angeles the next weekend with my bike for the annual Ride the Hurricane. This is a 32 km (one way) 6-8% uphill climb to 5200ft. Being a knowledgeable medical professional, I decided it was a good idea to try and keep up with a friend who is an ex Canadian Olympic Rower. Note to self - when little voice in head says maybe not smart thing to do - listen to it! Felt pretty good at the top - at least was still alive. The return down hill was a blast. Spent 3 hours eating Pizza and drinking beer waiting for the ferry home and life was good. By the next week by back had seized up and had tendonitis in both elbows. Took about 10 months before I could get back on the bike and do repetitive stuff like sanding or planing. Next up -where did 2016 go

Cheers

Dan
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Bcbimmer wrote:Next up -where did 2016 go?

Oh, man, where did it go? (great to hear some news, Dan... we await, very patiently!)

Cheers,
Dale
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Dale - I would think I detect a hint of Sarcasm there but of course I know you are not that kind of guy.
So the sad story continues. Further to 2015. Not only did I bugger up a few joints but we were supposed to be doing Cycle Oregon two weeks later and had to cancel. No problem says the insurance company after explaining the situation. Just get a form filled out by the doctor and we will cover you. So we cancel both mine and my wifes trip and send in the form. A month later they say -oops - you did not buy a plane ticket to get there so none of your other trip cancelation insurance applies. Another 3 grand down the drain. That ends the 2015 sob story, on to 2016.
By about May I could start to do stuff like sanding again so I slowly remove all the epoxy I had hurriedly put on last year to finish it all properly. The brightwork bible from PT suggested that the Sickens Marine products would make a good finish and was much easier to maintain. So put 3 coats of the Cetol Teak on followed by 3 coats of the Gloss. Mast, spar, boom and tiller. 3 days later - still tacky, another week, same. Talk to Sikkens. Odd they say. Cannot face the prospect of sanding it all off so wait another month - still tacky. Meanwhile I figure that I have had enough of injuring the back. The wife gets me a personal trainer to try. Things going OK, building up the back muscles until mid July and I am doing one of those plank Yoga moves that look so good and easy when 20 year olds in yoga pants do them. Hold it for just another 20 seconds he says encouragingly. Feeling pretty good until about 5 seconds to go when there is a loud popping sound accompanied by a rather unpleasant sensation in my left lower back. If anybody cares, I can now do a pretty good description of the feel and sound of your SI joint coming apart and a few attached pelvic muscles tearing. If it makes you feel any better says the physio a week later, I have never seen this happen when doing a plank before. Mutter, mutter. So that ends cycling and sailing for the summer of 2016. On to the future.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Welcome to 2017

My one day of sailing at the 2015 Rally pointed out a few problems with my build. First the stock off the shelf tiller was too long. Have you notice that in the movies, the guy on the tiller is always sitting at the back of the boat with the tiller beside him. Soon discovered that hard to turn in the direction you are sitting when the tiller jams against you. Don't get trapped behind the tiller Howard repeats several times. So I shortened mine.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

There has been a fair bit of discussion about how to hold down the centreboard cap. I installed my centreboard for the 1st time in a complete boat on arrival at PT in 2015 and when we launched her the board did not fully deploy so I had to pull the cover and push it down. This involved removing the 3 long bolts in the origin design, simple to do but not fast. Left them out for the rest of the sail and just with the weight of the cover and the inner plug there was no water leakage. Turned out the issue was my centreboard gasket. I had cut an opening long enough for the board but forgot about the recovery cord attached to the tip and the knot on that was catching in the gasket. Made the opening slit on the gasket about 1 1/2 inches longer and problem solved. Did make me look for a simpler cover attachment
Last edited by Bcbimmer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Centreboard cap part 2 - aft end
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Centreboard cap part 3 -bow end