#70 - an amateur kit build

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Re: #70 - an amateur kit build

Post by Bcbimmer »

Painting continued - see the previous page for the first painting post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Making the mast - what to do while the paint dries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More mast
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Great work going on here!

As to your final mast height, there are a lot of variables going on, with your extra 5" of cabin height being one of them.

I'm using a Gig harbor alloy mast and a stock SCA Neil Pryde sail so read the below measurements with that in mind.

The alloy mast allows the mast halyard sheeve (block) to be mounted closer to the top of the mast. The center pin of the sheeve is 1" below the top of the mast. On Josh's #1 spruce mast, I believe the hang point center of the sheeve is about 5" to 6" down from the tip of the "bullet" shaped mast top.
Alloy-mast-halyard-block.jpg
SCAMP-#1-Mast_Halyard-block.jpg
My overall alloy mast length is 16'-2.5" and the measurement from the top of the mast partner block to the top of the mast is 13'-9". The top of my partner block is somewhat below cabin top as it lines up with the forward edge of the bottom of the scamp-ramp. That would put it about 3.25" below the cabin top at the aft end.

I think you need about 13'-5" between the cabin top and the center of the halyard hang point to allow sufficient room to peak the yard and give enough vertical travel for the down-haul on the boom.

I'd say make the mast over long, mount the upper halyard block, make and fit the partner block but don't glue or screw it in. Then "dry" fit step it in place and trim the bottom as needed. On the alloy mast, I trimmed a couple of times over the first dozen or so sails ;)
Last edited by simeoniii on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Continued stuff on mast -

Not yet discussed is the issue of placement of the mast partner block relative to the cabin top. With the initial kits, there was no "SCAMP-ramp" so the partner block, around 1.5" in height, could be supported on all four sided at the level of the cabin top. This is the case with SCAMP #1, see photo
SCAMP-#1-Mast-Partner-Block.jpg
With the SCAMP-ramp, if the block is placed at the same level, then there would be no support on the aft side because of the open ramp area, see photos
Noddy-SCAMP-ramp-ovhd.jpg
Noddy-SCAMP-ramp.jpg
I don't think the lower support position with the SCAMP-ramp is a detriment. The block is adequately supported by the four sides of the mast box, especially if the box has been reinforced in that area with fiberglass cloth. It does make the length of the upper mast lever longer by a small percentage but I don't think it is a significant factor.
Last edited by simeoniii on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

Simeon,

Nice detail photos, thanks for sharing them and your thoughts.

John S.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

more mast and spars
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More mast
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

More colours added
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Getting close