#70 - an amateur kit build

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Re: #70 - an amateur kit build

Post by Bcbimmer »

Filling the holes - continued from previous page
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Drilling out the epoxy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

And more
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Attaching the deck - it can be done with one guy but it is awkward.

I think this deserves a reward so time for a single malt. A client bought me a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh. This stuff is a cut above their regular which is damn good on its own. Smooth as silk, no burn, which is amazing as it is 60.4% alcohol so don't want much.

Here's to you all,

Cheers,

Dan
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Adding the cabin sides - Mine are 4 inches taller than the norm as I raised the roof by the same amount
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Cutting out the porthole openings
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Well done Dan! Your approach to the cabin sides was right on. A good glue and fillet job will finish them off. You are really starting crank on the build. Thanks for all the great documentation and great "outside-the-box" solutions that you continue to come up with

Soon you will be on the water. Attached is a shot I took from Noddy last Thursday

I've had my bronze portlights in (temporarily) for about 4 months and I'm just now getting around to permanently adding the inside trim rings. I've been waiting to source the right acorn nuts for the the bronze machine screws. My screws are 10-24 thread

I finally found them at this source http://www.mcmaster.com/#acorn-nuts/=qev4ps
Last edited by simeoniii on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Simeon,

Thanks for that. Good to see Noddy is getting lots of use. Let me know if your nut source does not pan out. I went looking for brass half round to copy your idea and actually found a small foundry in Victoria that stocks it in all sizes. They also have a great selection of SB fasteners. I had one of my portholes with me to measure for the bolts and they were astounded that I could get two 7" portholes with backing plates for just over $300. (I think that must be about $20 US these days). They have Acorn nuts in both a high and low profile although I do not know what the thread count is. I will check when I pick them up next week and let you know.

Cheers,

Dan
David2249
Regular Contributor

Post by David2249 »

What are your rod holders, how big are they.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

David,

The rod holders are Berkleys, $20 each from West Marine. They sit about 5 inches high. Used a lot on Kayaks because of their size.

Cheers,

Dan