For those with Lazarette tendencies

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Brent65
Major Contributor

For those with Lazarette tendencies

Post by Brent65 »

Fellow Scampers,

You can check out my lazarette design here:

https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Wishing all a very happy holiday season!!!!

Best,
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: For those with Lazarette tendencies

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Brent. I angled the forward face of my lazerette and made a small velcro it on back rest cushion that affixes to the face. In this mode I can very comfortably sit or another person can, both of us facing each other feet in the footwellsit feet in the footwell. I post two photos one showing the velcro attachment for cushions (I have cushions for the entire cockpit including the floor (even foot well drop boards in). They not only velcro in, each has a snap in fixed point so no matter what I wont lose them.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
In addition I stow anchors on deck, rigged and on the ready. I did this by making a hinged lid to go over the top of the lazarette opening hatch. The anchors are affixed to this lid. The lid has outdoor carpet on it and padeyes to lash the anchors in place. I carry two stacked Northills in this manner. I can easily lift the lid and hook it in the up position when I want to gain access to the lazarette even with the anhors in place.
Untitled 2e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

One more photo.
This photo is part of my working anchor set up integrated into the lazarette.
Note: all cushions on my boat have working covers, the tan color cover you can see on the cushions. I sailed with the4se on and at anchor would pull rthem off for dry cushions. Most of the cushions were stowed in the cuddy while sailing.
Hope these help.
Untitled 2o.jpg
Untitlederg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Howard, many thanks for the photos and explanation. I too have angled the front face of the lazarette, getting this idea from you. I may well decide to stow my anchor/s off each side of my lazarette opening, bungied down like you have described. I like how you have stowed the chain (awkward to stow) inside the blue zippered nylon bags. Or at least thats how it appears from the photos. Now a question: Where and how are you stowing the anchor rode to keep it tangle free? Your thoughts and experience are greatly welcomed.
Brent Butikofer

Pocketship:

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Brent
First you asked me how I avoid tangles, it is very easy.
When you put a line through a hawspipe it will coil and lay on itself. If you put an anchor line in a canvas bag dont hank it up or hand coil it, feed it in on itself and it will come out free to run.

I have installed hawspipes on each side of the lazarette opening/lid/anchor set up, above the aft of bulkhead 7 compartments under the seat tops. I also installed a 4" round opening port allowing hand access to each compartment.

I also made watertight closures for the round opening on each side of blk 7 thus closing off the two anchor rode compartments. The rode bitter end is made fast on each side to blk 7 and leads up through each hawsepipe.

The starboard side is the fwd anchor rode and the port side (smaller hawsepipe) the aft anchor rode.
The rode leads to chain and the chain each side is as you have noted in a small blue canvas bag I have affixed to the seat/lazarette top. These two bags zip close leaving the anchor chain end sticking out attached to the rode, both anchors are on the ready.

Here is a key piece of my system. When I am in port, whatever I stow rode and tidy the boat up, chain in ble bags, etc. When I depart to sail or cruise this is the way I begin.

However after the first anchoring moment I don't feed the fwd or the aft anchor rode (if I have used both then both are out of their under seat stowage and in use) back through the hawse pipe because I am actively cruising and using them.

I have a large stiff wide mouth with handles canvas bag for the fwd rode and I use a particular aft open jaw snub fitting and drape the aft rode over it with a quick release bungee cord, this is on the aft deck ready for instant deployment.
Untitled.jpg
You can see the fwd anchor in use in its canvas ready to deploy bag, which can hook over an oarloick, the running shroud winch or several other spots via caribiner. A functional no nonsense system that works every time, there are many other facets to the system I have not noted.
Untitled-anchor.jpg
About to deploy fwd hook.
Rain.jpg

Brent65 wrote:Howard, many thanks for the photos and explanation. I too have angled the front face of the lazarette, getting this idea from you. I may well decide to stow my anchor/s off each side of my lazarette opening, bungied down like you have described. I like how you have stowed the chain (awkward to stow) inside the blue zippered nylon bags. Or at least thats how it appears from the photos. Now a question: Where and how are you stowing the anchor rode to keep it tangle free? Your thoughts and experience are greatly welcomed.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

And
The aft deck snub fitting, an amazing device, the black object mounted on the aft deck port side. Infinite instant aft rode control when working into an anchorage, excellent working in through surf, making instant simple adjustments while at anchor. One of the best small boat tools I have seen. Having a dedicated aft achor set up and ready is essential for the small boat cruiser.
aft deck, punta arenas.jpg
and another view while doing final loading, back anchor deployed on shore. The bronze cleat mounted on the aft deck beam is also for the aft anchor line. At night I sometimes will take a wrap even though it is firmly in the black snubbing cleat. Photo on the Strait of Magellan north of Punta Arenas.
aft fitting.jpg
Hope some of this is of interest or helpful.
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Howard, like this?
Brent Butikofer

Pocketship:

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Brent65 wrote:Howard, like this?
Hey Brent you have the set up close to as I designed it. I am sure there must be better solutions out there but this one I like. It has proven itself.

1. You only need one hawsepipe per anchor. I mount it adjacent to the 4" screw in port. Hawsepipes can be plastic, galvanized, bronze, stainless, etc. Mine are both bronze.

2. I suggest the hinged lid (anchor mount) over your lazarette hatch, easy to make, light weight and practical. Mine is painted, with anchor chocks and tie downs for two nested anchors. It is covered with an outdoor carpet type material I cut from a door mat.

3. Pre mark your anchor rode with a sew though of black course thread or indelible marker or paint. Have your anchor stowed aft and where the rode goes through the captive bow chock is where you make the mark.

Make a second mark on the rode (red) forward of the black mark when the anchor is up off the bottom and hanging in a sail away position, meaning just below the stem/bottom. This may be very handy to know sometime in a tight spot when you have to:

a. Sail your anchor to a new location. Sometimes sailing off anchor is a convenience, I do it alot.

b. Sail off anchor with no time to actually haul it all the way in because of a lee shore, rocks, whatever prevents you from a more leisurely haul up and stow.

4. Important- Get a 12 to 15 foot 1/4" or 3/16" braided line, tie a bowline in one end around the anchor rode that lies between the anchor and the captive bow chock. Tie off the other end to a small cleat near or on bulkhead 5.

When you deploy your anchor the bowline retrieve line goes out and hangs on the anchor line draped around the rode between the bow chock and the deep or is perhaps just under water.

When you want to retrieve your anchor pull it up through the bow chock to the black mark on the rode then with the retrieve line pull the anchor aft to the cockpit where you are standing just aft of the cuddy cabin, lift it up and into the footwell or onto the cockpit sole, feed the anchor line into the large mouth open canvas bag you have on the seat, then chain and anchor, push it aft and sail away ready to drop anchor around the next corner. Later you can feed rode into hawsepipe or maybe not until the end of your cruise.

Here is a photo of the cut outs.
Southern Cross-Cockpit 1.jpg
and
In this photo you can see the fwd set up for my forward anchor. I use a cabin side mount with a cam cleat with fairlead and a 2nd fairlead deck mounted leading the rode past the fwd cabin decorative wings.

In addition I have bronze half round mounted on the aft edge of the cabin side so I can stand up pulling the anchor in and not worry about scarring the cabin edge
SC Nao 2.jpg
and in this photo you can see the first step I take when I know I am approaching an anchoring situation. There is a vertically mounted bronze shackle in the photo with both directions of anchor rode running through it and captured to keep them from washing overboard while sailing. I cant deploy unless I reach down and release this very spoecialized shackle, there are numerous solutions to accomplish the same thing.
SC anchor.jpg
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Plastic hawsepipes I helped a builder install. He is using my anchoring system and will be day sailing his boat.
Hawse pipe.jpg
and I just found this photo, which shows the anchor set up.
Untitled.jpg
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

pocketyacht wrote:
Brent65 wrote:Howard, like this?
Howard, this is extremely helpful and instructional. Thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly explain your time tested system. There's a ton of good insightful information here. I trust it will be extremely helpful for many others not just me. I believe we all have quite similar needs in the end.

I've made comments and questions below within your original text in red.

Hey Brent you have the set up close to as I designed it. I am sure there must be better solutions out there but this one I like. It has proven itself.

1. You only need one hawsepipe per anchor. I mount it adjacent to the 4" screw in port. Hawsepipes can be plastic, galvanized, bronze, stainless, etc. Mine are both bronze. With the hawsepipe installed in the seat top between bulkhead 7-8, it appears this storage area would take on water during a capsize. I drew the two hawsepipes to move the top side opening closer to the centerline which would be above the waterline in the event of a capsize. Good idea? Bad idea?

2. I suggest the hinged lid (anchor mount) over your lazarette hatch, easy to make, light weight and practical. Mine is painted, with anchor chocks and tie downs for two nested anchors. It is covered with an outdoor carpet type material I cut from a door mat. Pondering this...

3. Pre mark your anchor rode with a sew though of black course thread or indelible marker or paint. Have your anchor stowed aft and where the rode goes through the captive bow chock is where you make the mark. Love this idea. Thank you!

Make a second mark on the rode (red) forward of the black mark when the anchor is up off the bottom and hanging in a sail away position, meaning just below the stem/bottom. Wouldn't this mean your chain is up tight against and making contact with your captive bow eye and your anchor is hanging downward the same length as your chain? Therefore, possibly dragging the bottom? I love the idea, just not sure I'm perceiving the concept correctly. This may be very handy to know sometime in a tight spot when you have to:

a. Sail your anchor to a new location. Sometimes sailing off anchor is a convenience, I do it alot.

b. Sail off anchor with no time to actually haul it all the way in because of a lee shore, rocks, whatever prevents you from a more leisurely haul up and stow.

4. Important- Get a 12 to 15 foot 1/4" or 3/16" braided line, tie a bowline in one end around the anchor rode that lies between the anchor and the captive bow chock. Tie off the other end to a small cleat near or on bulkhead 5. Yes, you taught us this anchor retrieval technique during the Scamp Skills Academy.

When you deploy your anchor the bowline retrieve line goes out and hangs on the anchor line draped around the rode between the bow chock and the deep or is perhaps just under water.

When you want to retrieve your anchor pull it up through the bow chock to the black mark on the rode then with the retrieve line pull the anchor aft to the cockpit where you are standing just aft of the cuddy cabin, lift it up and into the footwell or onto the cockpit sole, feed the anchor line into the large mouth open canvas bag you have on the seat, then chain and anchor, push it aft and sail away ready to drop anchor around the next corner. Later you can feed rode into hawsepipe or maybe not until the end of your cruise. If you could have seen my first overnight anchoring technique you would still be laughing. It would have made a great youtube video demonstrating exactly what not to do. I love your prescribed system of retrieval. It will save me many frustrating hours when anchoring.

Here is a photo of the cut outs.
Southern Cross-Cockpit 1.jpg
and
In this photo you can see the fwd set up for my forward anchor. I use a cabin side mount with a cam cleat with fairlead and a 2nd fairlead deck mounted leading the rode past the fwd cabin decorative wings. If you were only using the stock mainsail setup, would you have mounted your captive bow eye on center as opposed to off center? Might this create less sway when anchored?

In addition I have bronze half round mounted on the aft edge of the cabin side so I can stand up pulling the anchor in and not worry about scarring the cabin edge Thanks, I wondered what that was for.
SC Nao 2.jpg
and in this photo you can see the first step I take when I know I am approaching an anchoring situation. There is a vertically mounted bronze shackle in the photo with both directions of anchor rode running through it and captured to keep them from washing overboard while sailing. I cant deploy unless I reach down and release this very spoecialized shackle, there are numerous solutions to accomplish the same thing.Ok, this makes total sense.
SC anchor.jpg
Brent Butikofer

Pocketship: