Deck Plates - a Cautionary Tale

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Deck Plates - a Cautionary Tale

Post by simeoniii »

SCAMP builders:
Here's a cautionary tale regarding cockpit sole deck plates.

SCAMP #1 used 6" & 4" Beckson screw-in/rubber gasket deck plates (DP40-W-C). During the capsize tests and later capsize drills we noticed some minor leakage. Comments from others suggest that they always lightly grease the rubber O-ring with vaseline (petroleum-type grease). All well and good but it seems that during a cruise, the sole invariably collect sand/grit which then finds its way to the O-rings as you access the dry-storage areas behind the ports, so we haven't followed that practice.

On an overnight cruise last weekend we loaded SCAMP up with gear/food/water for two, plus a lot of extra gear for testing purposes, and headed out in the drizzle which soon developed into rain.

After docking at our destination we nipped ashore with our cook-kit for brewing up tea and scouting the area etc. We planned to return to SCAMP a bit later to set up the boom tent.

Visiting with other intrepid small boat sailors & rowers from our Pocket Yachters group (http://pocketyachters.com/Port_Townsend ... endar.html) delayed our return somewhat and when we returned to SCAMP we found her riding a bit bow-down in trim, a result of stowing a lot of heavy gear forward. This was in spite of having the anchor/rode being stowed aft in in the cockpit.

Because of the heavy rain and the bow-down attitude, water collected forward up against bulkhead #3 and pooled about 1" -2" above the deck plate. Sitting aft to bring the water back to the sump area, I pumped her dry and then set up the boom tent and repositioned a lot of the gear aft.

Later that afternoon, I went to the forward "dry" storage area under the cockpit sole, between bulkheads 3 & 4, to remove the food stuffs for the evening meal. There was a fair amount of water down there that had leaked in though the well tightened access port. Not a disaster, as the appropriate stuff was protected with zip-lock bags, but definitely a cautionary tale. The water pressure created by an inch or two of water standing over a couple of hours, caused the significant leak.

We are planning a retrofit on these deck plates :evil:

Simeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
JSpiegel
New Contributor

Re: Deck Plates - a Cautionary Tale

Post by JSpiegel »

I will be anxious to see what you retro fit these hatches with. My gut would be more comfortable with a screw in cover vs. the twist to lock. I wonder if your problem was exacerbated by low pressure inside the dry storage compartment caused by a change of temperature. The suction created by a low pressure could exceed the pressure of the few inches of water on the deck. Does your SCAMP have any venting in the storage areas to equalize pressure? On my plywood kayak I have had the hatches get sucked down so tight by the cold water there was no removing them. Small vent holes (1/16”) to the cockpit solved that problem.
Scamp #112
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Thanks for the heads up on the deck plates, Simeon.

I've never used them before and now on the SCAMP, they're everywhere. Luckily I had several large ones left over that I never did use on my Caledonia Yawl. I may add the ones on the seats later but I'll go ahead and glue on the backing edge thickness underneath for when the time comes. Sounds like I will need them later to help distribute the storage load but wanted to use the boat a while first. A guy could buy a pretty decent anchor for what they charge for some of those large compartment lids.
keyhavenpotterer
Regular Contributor

Post by keyhavenpotterer »

Simeon, in an early thread Armstrong hatches were discussed, having been recommended by Denman Marine.

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... ?f=3&t=359

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/dckplates.htm

Brian
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Hi Brian,

We're looking at Armstrong plates for possible retrofit on the prototype. Gig Harbor is also looking at them for the glass boats. Supposedly they are truly watertight. The biggest disadvantage is that they apparently stick up a little proud, but then one could recess them. On the glass boat it should be a snap.

Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Hello,

I had a look at these locally and my only concern from the literature was that all the applications seem to be in low traffic areas. Anybody used them and know if they can be walked or sat on and still keep their seal? The other question is with regards to recessing them or any other plate. Would you have to use a complete second layer of decking supported at the edges or is just a standard backing plate width enough strength to hold them if walked on?

Dan
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I've emailed the manufacturer with that very question. We'll see what they answer.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11