Scamp in Aluminum

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp in Aluminum

Post by simeoniii »

Charlie - Great stuff you are doing!

I'll be tempted to make a trip to NC or where ever to have the privilege to sail in her once you have launched
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Looking great ! reminds me of a miniature shipyard. You are using some of the same techniques.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Taking a break from building, a quick trip to Honduras to check on properties and pay taxes and now out on Guam for like business and a bit of sun and ???
It is looking to me like I have just a couple more weeks of work and the basic hull will be done. This leaves the building of the foils, sail rig, and bulkhead doors then making it all work together. Last bit of work accomplished saw the fitting of the seat tops, side decks, and veranda sides.
CIMG0355.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Happy Dog Charlie Man,

So are you going to install any WOOD trim to soften up those edges or are you going to go with small diameter aluminum tubing for that? Just curious. Your recyclable SCAMP is looking very promising. Keep up the good work!

Best,
Kenjamin
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

I expect to use aluminum tube, split on one side and welded to finish the edges of the seat back and some sort of channel to reinforce and finish the deck edge. There may be organic doublers on the seat tops, seat backs, and sole. I am thinking of cork for this with some possibility of lining the veranda and foredeck/storage area with the same for noise reduction. I'm also considering SeaDek EVA but as of now know very little about it. I want to avoid materials that are heavy, retain water, or are not rot resistant, rot proof would be best. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Charlie
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

I've noticed that they've started making Pex pipe (polyethylene) in a gray finish which should be more sun resistant. Regular pex pipe is so light it floats but the gray stuff sinks so go figure. I use the stuff like wear strips so instead of having wood rub on wood, it's wood rubbing on plastic. That way the action doesn't hang up like it would with a wood to wood connection. It works great on my bowsprit. Makes for a very tight fit but never hangs up. Also used it on the corners of my centerboard cartridge so it wouldn't hang up when I pull it out. This is an early picture with the white pex pipe but it was too large in diameter. Took the white stuff off and used the smaller diameter gray tubing and it works great. No hang ups!
CartridgeSmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Charlie, we may be in NC in October if Mike holds up to all the travel and stress too of Sail OK 2014 (which I am doing but he does have to be active) Are you going to be in NC in late October or early November maybe?

I know Mike would like to see your boat.

Love, Jackie Monies
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Hello Jackie,
I'll be back at the boat cave in a few days and do expect to be there until about the 9th of Nov. Will send private message. Looking forward to meeting you both!

Cheers!

Charlie
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Based on comments posted elsewhere I finally decided that a footwell is a good idea. Located between B-5 and B-6 it measures 340 mm wide and should accommodate multiple feet or a drop-in purpose built beer cooler. A sealing deck plate will be installed when it's use is not desired. The lightening hole at center of B-6 will have a sealing plate installed when footwell is in use.
Last edited by HappyDog on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

ATTWOOD 3500 Series Vertical mount LED sidelights are set into a recess to attain proper alignment.