John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP (INFO LINK)

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP (INFO LINK)

Post by Editors »

Here's the link the the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building's SCAMP Build program: http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=2741

—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
ppd3
Regular Contributor

Re: John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP (INFO LIN

Post by ppd3 »

Yeah great everybody, love SCAMP, love JW's designs for some time, but asked the question, with no response, some time ago... please see link...

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... 3&start=10

Kind of hard to attend USA master classes, but could do, but can I transport fully, or partly built SCAMP to Sydney Australia?

DIG
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Hi Dig,

Not sure about John's plans re: Australia and SCAMP. I think he said he was going to attend the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart, Tasmania next February and was expecting there to be a SCAMP or two present, but I'm not aware of any building course plans.

With regard to your second question, I don't see why we couldn't ship your partially finished boat back to Australia. We've found international kit shipping prices more reasonable than we expected (port to port via ship from Seattle), so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad.

If you're seriously considering it let us know and we'll try to get a quote from our usual shipper. Would be great to have you here—we've got someone coming from Germany I think, but you'd steal the distance record back by about 3,000 miles ;-)

—Josh smallcraftadvisor@earthlink.net
Tasman
Regular Contributor

Post by Tasman »

I can confirm that SCAMP #15 is already booked in for the Australian Wooden Boat Show in Hobart in February. Another few months should see her finished - epoxy is going real slow in this part of the world at the moment !

Hull is completed and ready for final paint job on the bottom. Just going out to the shed to do a bit more work on the rudder and C/B which I want to paint at the same time. Sail is in its new bag but still have to build the spars. Getting close now !

John
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Sounds like the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding just signed up their 11th person for the so-called SCAMP Camp. I think there's still one space left. Should be quite an event!—Eds
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

A quick update from the SCAMP CAMP group build. Ten boats under construction (12 students), great cheer in the shop and amazing progress after three days. I plan to ask Josh how to post on the blog so others can benefit from our photos. Stand by.

A big thanks to the folks at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding and the Northwest Maritime Center. A bigger thanks to my instruction partners, John, Scott and Jason. The four of us are having one smooth time instructing and chuckling our way along side twelve SCAMP builders.
Best,
howard
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

A few photos here: http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/
—Eds
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Tim
Regular Contributor

Meeting of the SCAMP minds

Post by Tim »

I am up in Port Townsend for the Small Craft Skills Academy and was able to sit in on a meeting of the minds to go over final "kit" plans.

Howard and John
Howard and John.JPG

Josh and Howard
Josh and Howard.JPG
Along with the kit cutter whose name is Brandon I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong)
the group.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwboatdesigns
Regular Contributor

Post by jwboatdesigns »

I've just been to the travel agent to start her searching for airfare bargains for my wife Denny and myself to come to Port Townsend for SCAMP Camp 4 and two Academy classes in August. Port Townsend is beginning to feel like a second home now, its a looooong way to travel to go to work but I'm very much looking forward to being there with everybody again.

I do miss the place, but our New Zealand summers while you are having winter are too good to miss.

See you there

John Welsford