Arctic Mods

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

gsollish
New Contributor

Arctic Mods

Post by gsollish »

I've been looking at Scamp and wondering whether she's the design I've been looking for. Nothing serious yet, but I've been dreaming about cruising James and Hudson Bay or the Labrador in my not-to-distant retirement and doing so (on my budget) requires a small, easily transported single-hander with good heavy weather capabilities. I'm thinking, extend the cuddy sides aft and cover the after cockpit for more protection. Does this make sense, or will the added windage be a killer? Any other ideas to handle what would be late fall conditions almost anywhere else?

Thanks.

George
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Arctic Mods

Post by kenjamin »

Invest in great clothing and be prepared to spend some serious money on it. Extending the cabin aft would be a killer on performance – especially being able to reef easily which is very important for safety. There's also all kinds of chemical hand warmers and such that could help. I can relate to your desire for a small easily transported single-handler with good heavy weather capabilities. I'm in the same boat (forgive the pun). That's why I'm building my SCAMP.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Could you post a drawing of your proposed mods? May produce more input. I'm not sure of what you consider heavy weather and have no exposure to those northern sailing conditions, but having been caught out in tropical gales in open boats, I'd be reluctant to choose an open boat for cold conditions, even one as inherently seaworthy as Scamp.
gsollish
New Contributor

Post by gsollish »

I'll have to sketch it up. I agree re open boats in cold weather (although it would generally be not so cold as some would guess --- we're talking 40-60F). My idea is to extend the woodwork to keep water out and minimize windchill. Perhaps a Inuit-inspired spray skirt that could be fitted when needed.

George
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/MSTDFS.h ... QAodoEni0Q
George, I really don't think you need much in the way of mods to the SCAMP. You do need to be thinking about survival equipment. What I have seen so far about the SCAMP is that it is a pretty dry sailor. I could be wrong but I haven't seen any one complain about water spray. That is one of the reasons I was attracted to the SCAMP.

I spent most of my time on the water when most other people think it is to cold. Oct through Early Dec. Ice is what stops me, anything more than a inch. When you are in cold water conditions time is not on your side. What you need is what I posted in the link a survival suit. They are not cheap but what is your life worth. I went with out one for years and I wore a good life jacket,thats so your loved ones will find your body in cold water conditions thats what they are good for. Now another reason if you watched the capsize tests SCAMP is not easy to capsize but it could happen, so you capsize then get back in SCAMP you are still in trouble because you are wet and by the time you can get dry hypothermia sets In. A survival suit is a must in cold water and they are warm.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

It may be that a tiller extension when working solo would get you further forward so that you would be better protected by the cuddy cabin. Just a thought. Also you can check out all the variations of survival suits at West Marine online:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ch_Apparel
gsollish
New Contributor

Post by gsollish »

Hi Peter,

I'm with you on survival gear --- I had a friend in the Belchers who capsized his kayak and was just barely able to climb back in with freezing fingers and that was in only a minute or two. Lifelines should also be fitted, tested for security and religiously clipped to your personal harness. Outside the boat is very bad even in a survival suit.

I've also doodled what I'm thinking. The rig change is optional --- I'm interested in approximating 11th century Norse technology (the Norse travels in the Canadian arctic is behind this crazy exercise) and I'm willing to trade a wee bit of performance to obtain.

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anders Bjorklund
Regular Contributor

Post by Anders Bjorklund »

Hmm. Have never seen a boat with such a short waterline, with that amount of freeboard. Looks like it might suffer from wicked weather helm, too.

But maybe if you rotated the entire design counter-clockwise about 90 degrees ... ;-)

Anders
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Why not just build Welsford's Fafnir? You would know that your investment in time and money would sail well and be worth something when you're done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsollish
New Contributor

Post by gsollish »

I like Fafnir, too, but she's a lot heavier and I wouldn't need the 'extra' space. I'm thinking short coastal hops, so JW's rationale that Fafnir's about as short as makes sense for extended offshore work doesn't apply. Besides, I want to spend as much time outside as possible, and a protected central cockpit seems a sensible compromise. Do you know Steve Loutrel's Adelie? She's an all-weather sloop I encountered on the Labrador in '09. Way to expensive for me, but one of the inspirations for my Qiki. Adelie's like a polar lifeboat with watertight compartments; I'm looking at something more basic, but warm and dry.

Keep tossing out ideas. Much appreciated :D