#142 Westfield, Indiana

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dwpandq
New Contributor

#142 Westfield, Indiana

Post by dwpandq »

And it begins. :-) Just got my plans. Now to clear out my garage to start construction.

About me: My name is Dan Payne. I have had a little bit of experience with small boat construction with building a small self designed 1 sheet scow, then assisting my Dad and Step-mom (Rex and Kathie Payne) with the construction of an Iain Oughtred designed Macgregor sailing canoe. As well, I assisted in very small part by mounting seats, rigging, and miscellaneous other finishing bits of their most recently completed No Mans' Land boat. I have been very fortunate to have shared these experiences with them.

Dad and Kathie's Birdwatcher II has been featured as a cover story for Small Craft Advisor, so their experience and advice will definitely be beneficial to my build of Scamp although a bit long distance with me being in Indiana and they are living in Florida. I also look forward to the advice and wisdom that I will look for in this forum.

Pictures will be posted as soon as I get underway. ;) Nice to meet you all and it has been a pleasure reading about all of your experiences so far. ---Dan
dwpandq
New Contributor

Re: #142 Westfield, Indiana

Post by dwpandq »

Here is a picture of the scow I designed/built. Very amateur work. :) Haha. It did not come back from Colorado with me, so not sure what happened to it:

I currently own a six hour canoe that I can't find the pictures for, but the next two I currently own and try to sail when I can.

And here is the Macgregor I currently own and helped Dad and Kathie build:

And the Snark Sunflower I own:

And finally the, No Man's Land Boat I was fortunate to be a part of final preparations and the launching:

julie
Regular Contributor

Post by julie »

Fantastic, congratulations on taking that first step. I can't wait to see how your build progresses!

Looks like your boat will be in good hands, I bet it'll turn out great. :)
dwpandq
New Contributor

Post by dwpandq »

Thanks, Julie. I have been reading your blog for a few weeks for now. I read it with a lot of interest due to the fact that we share so many interests in common. I have a small urban homestead raising chickens and gardening in raised beds, boatbuilding, dogs, etc. ;) Thanks for posting your experiences. ---Dan
julie
Regular Contributor

Post by julie »

Thank you for reading my blog, Dan! I'm flattered that it has been interesting enough for you to visit more than once. :) That's great we have so much in common!

Do you have a time frame for when you want to get your boat in the water?

Best of luck on your project!
dwpandq
New Contributor

Post by dwpandq »

Ultimate deadline for completion is for Cedar Key, Florida West Coast Trailer Sailors get together next year which is first weekend of May. But would really like it to be end of summer, but that is really optimistic. I have a lot of free time on my hands, but I have so many projects like gardening, homebrewing, working on master's in business, motorcycling, etc. So it is hard sometimes to stay completely on task. ;)
dwpandq
New Contributor

Post by dwpandq »

Continued Lofting today:

Rudder drawing completed:

More of the rudder:

The lofting table (disregard messy rug, just covering up old asbestos tile):

The centerboard:

Used sharpie to retrace rudder:

Same goes for the centerboard:

Rudder Cheeks are a bit rough looking, but I will get them correct when I go to cut them:

Centerboard Trunk Side:

Stem:

Here is current work log and costs:

Scamp Building Cost and Time Log:
Date Item Cost in US Dollars Time in Hours Miles Driven
5/25/2012 1. Purchased Plans from Small Craft Advisor $158.50 0.1
5/25/2012 2. Purchased 1 inch square rule pads from Amazon.com $33.99 0.1
6/11/2012 3. Ordered Metric Rulers and Tape Measure from Amazon $30.72 0.1
6/14/2012 4. Get copies to work off of at Staples $25.59 2 24
6/14/2012 5. Loft Rudder on grid paper - partially complete 2
6/19/2012 6. Continue lofting rudder. Lofted Centerboard, Rudder Cheeks, Centerboard Trunkside, Corrected Centerboard Trunkside after examining Seat Longitudinals, Lofted Seat Longitudinals, Stem. 7.2
Current totals: $248.80 11.5 hours 24 miles driven