SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by dsimonson »

Hello first-class scamp campers! Bob, Peanut is a real beauty, congrats! Keith, you're a dervish! Simeon, get Noddy wet!!

I'm sorry, I won't make our (self-imposed) deadline! On the 1st of July I loaded Luna on her trailer, and took her to our family's recreational property to work on her full-time. I had four weeks of full-time xss-busting to finish her, and it couldn't be done. I had a ton of help, my dad Fred worked with me dawn to dusk daily, my brother Eric and his friend Richard, my wife and filleting queen Chris, and nephew Alex, and Logan and Holly, and mom Liz cooking for the crew... it was a team effort, but, these are complex little boats! No worries, it was a blast to try to make it in time, to splash her at her birth-place in Port Townsend on her first birthday, and it was not for lack of trying...

I have one more bit of wood to glue in -- the transom cap doubler -- and then... all the hardware to mount, and take off again, all the remaining bare bits to epoxy coat... and then all the priming, sanding, fairing, and painting. I'm guessing it's two weeks solid work left, and that's probably a little shy of reality (basically, always double your estimate!!)

I've uploaded four weeks of construction photos to my Flickr site: Scamp build, continued (for those that are really bored and have way too much time to kill), and here's a shot of her as she sits, now (next post).

Chris and I are coming to PT this weekend, to help Keith launch and celebrate Zephyr's completion, to see Noddy and Peanut in the flesh, hang out at the Boat School BBQ, and do a little catching up with all you campers, so hope to see you there.

all the best,
Dale
Last edited by dsimonson on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Howard, remember our discussion about how nice it is to sit up on the aft edge of the combing? Check out my little modification to give us a little comfort up there!

oarlock block in combing rail by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

P8010004.jpg
Very nice Dale. A great idea well worthy of emulating!

Looking forward to seeing you guys.
Beth and Steve showed up today with their SCAMP.

Noody will splash soon!

Simeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

simeoniii wrote:Beth and Steve showed up today with their SCAMP.
Noddy's looking very good, Simeon! The pressure's on now! Make way for a new hatch of Scamplings!!, get that little beauty outta there!

Looking forward to meeting Beth and Steve, and their boat -- sans shrink wrap :)

See you tomorrow, we'll be heading straight down to the School, arriving about 9:30 am. Then, who knows when, or how, but we'll be looking for you, and all things SCAMP!!!

Cheers,
Dale
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Dale and Simeon,

Works of art as always. I had the same conversation with Howard about sitting on the edge and was wondering how to adapt the coaming to make it more comfortable so thanks for that. Was going to put the inserts for my rod holders back there so may have to rethink that one. #70 has been on hold for a few months so will be next year before she hits the water. Kind of good to hear that even with all the efforts you guys are putting in you still are a little ways off the launch date. Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

Cheers,

Dan
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Nicely done Dale.

I went after the hiking out comfort question as we discussed (and you have so nicely done) a little differently after much head scratching and hours sailing the boat. Your solution is one of three good methods I can see for building in the ability to get the helmsmans weight up on the rail. Hiking out or simply sitting up on the side deck/coaming is a real advantage at times.

Mike Monies and I took his "Red SCAMP" at speed through a fleet of rounding up and out of control boats at the last leeward mark (Sail Havasu 2012). We had been chasing these boats for most of the race. In spite of being the tiniest boat in the fleet of 110 or so boats we rounded the leeward mark in a 35 to 40 knot line squall complete with thunder, lightening, rain and wind gusts later reported up to 40.

After rounding I hardened her up steering a pinching course to the finish as we flogged the main trimming in and out for equal parts speed and stability.

Both of us had to put our backs into keeping SCAMP moving by trimming in and out. I asked Mike to join me up on the side deck/coaming. When he did SCAMP flattened out and we sailed our way to the finish when other boats could not. Hiking out was the key.

SCAMP likes to be sailed flat, sitting out or hiking out at times helps and it's great fun.

Looking forward to seeing you today at the Boat School.

Best,
howard
dsimonson wrote:Howard, remember our discussion about how nice it is to sit up on the aft edge of the combing? Check out my little modification to give us a little comfort up there!

oarlock block in combing rail by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Who would have thought of excitement when the little Scamp design first came out? It looked too cute to be exciting. Then Mike and Andrew took the "cute boat" through and directly into 40 plus knot gales during the Everglades Challenge and 4-6 foot seas and only got stopped by a mud hole with no water in it!

Howard and Mike had a blast sailing her in the Havasu race described. Mike loved it, said sailing with Howard was an experience he would never forget. But I suspect the looks on the faces of the racers when the "cute boat" passed them was something else.

More thrills per foot then any other "cute boat" can deliver.

Love, Jackie Monies - The Red Scamp
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Keith Nasman and his Zephyr #161, showed up at the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding for final rigging under the watchful eye of John Welsford, designer, and with great help from Dale Simonson (Luna, #162) and Derek (Liberty 53, #173) in the execution of same.

Terry Stoeser also arrived and launched his beautifully crafted Terry Stoeser's sköl, #208.

After their maiden sails, John Welsord was able to take a sail in each of the two newly launched SCAMPs; that must have been a very gratifying event for the designer of such a fine "cute boat".

The day was the celebration of the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding's 32nd birthday sail-in and BBQ, ably presented by Executive Director Pete Leenhouts and his crew.

Meanwhile Steve and Beth came over from Missoula with their SCAMP (#203) and were busying finishing out the build at the NW Maritime Center in Port Townsend, while Scott Jones, from NWMC worked on the birdsmouth Sitka Spruce mast and spars.

More launching photos to follow soon!

Simeon, Noddy #11
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hello all!

Just got back from PT, what an amazing weekend! We rigged and launched Zephyr, Terry launched Skol, we all went sailing, and we dropped in on the Scamp Camp #4 crew on their first morning. Epic cruising on Sunday, four up in Zephyr for eight hours, plenty of room and comfort, landing on a "desert island" for lunch, anchoring, and retrieving, and sailing the paint off that beautiful little boat!! Thanks Keith and Derek, and John and Howard and Simeon and Scott and Jason and all you guys in Scamp camps and building Scamps all over the world!!

Totally confirmed my suspicions, it's an amazing boat, exceeding all expectations, I'm so pumped I can't wait to get back to work on mine. I've got one more week to get as much done as I can, before the "real world" comes crashing down on me again, so, I'm off to the shop...

Here's a shot of Keith as we found him Saturday morning, rigging:
Keith rigs Zephyr in preparation for first splash by Dale Simonson, on Flickr