SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by dsimonson »

and, the first launch of the morning:
Terry's "Skol" hits the water... by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

... and then... Zephyr does her builder proud:
one happy builder!! Congrats, Keith, on a job well done!! by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Lots more shots in my ever-growing set of images on Flickr, but I'll leave you one more before I go:

Look at that pretty little boat go! by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

The best to you all, Scampers!!

Cheers,
Dale
cdb9554
Regular Contributor

Post by cdb9554 »

Hey Dale,

Thanks so much for the great photos, both of the PT weekend and your build. Your a great photographer and craftsman.

Keith - wow, Zephyr is a great looking boat! I really love the blue hull color - it looks great on that blue PT water. Makes me rethink my thoughts on color choices for (unnamed) #124. Really.

Craig
Craig
ANNIE B #124
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

This was Mike's first choice color combo, marine blue and white, for the second Scamp when he built the first two Scamps. He was to have the blue and white one, Andrew Linn the red and white one. When Mike finished the Red Scamp (and did not get blue Scamp finished) they sailed the one in the Everglades Challenge together.

When Mike returned he said he had been through too much with the Red Scamp and he was keeping her and keeping her red. I can understand that feeling.

So, unless he builds a third Scamp we will not have a Blue Scamp, as the second one is in Colorado now and is also Red.

But I have to agree that that blue and white is beautiful Scamp.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

Wow, Keith! Wow! Wow! I love the blue.

Sorry I missed the shindig at he boat school. I was down in CA with grandkids, actually sailing a fourteen footer with my son.

Peanut is back at the Maritime Center as a demo boat for the Scamp Camp. She will be in the Wooden Boat Festival next month.

Lucky me, sailing my boat with John Welsford and Howard Rice over the next two weeks.
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

Both look great.
Blue SCAMPs are slightly faster

Phil
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Wow! What a trip! Thanks to all for the help in launching Zephyr on Saturday. A proud day indeed!

Things that worked out:
- Zephyr: exceeded my expectations in so many ways
- Confirmed sailing all day with four on board was comfortable and fun!
- Those "T-handle" Bomar hatches are indeed watertight. We put two inches of water in the cockpit when washing her out and not a drop went past them.
- The "wet lockers" in the B7-B8 area worked well. I flaked 200ft of 3/8in line and 12ft of chain in there and laid the anchor on top nicely. I just need a quick releasing strap to hold the anchor in case of a capsize. The heavily dewed tarp used for a boom tent was stuffed in the other one. Water bottles and other bits were tossed in there as well.
- Placing the forward cleats abreast of the mast box was about right. I was continually reaching up there for the bow line, when anchoring and when tying off the boom tent. Make sure you can reach yours!

Things that didn't:
- Boom should be 6-10in longer to give more space to the outhaul and tying on the tack.
- My positioning of the aft cleat beyond the coaming. Yes, builders, listen to your elders! It looks damn nice there but hangs up on the mainsheet just like they said. I'll move it forward but then the cleat set looks all funny. Suggestions welcome.
- The mainsheet block that attaches to the traveler knocks on the deck when going downwind with not enough wind to keep it taut. What if I put a stopper knot such that the block would stop before it got over the deck?
- Using a belly strap when trailering took off the paint on the coaming. I'm going with Derek's idea of putting a tie down hole through the aft part of the skeg.
- Forward reefing cleats need to be moved aft so that you can reach them from the cockpit. Mine are set up per the plans. Thanks to Howard on noting this.
- Centerboard slop - I didn't have time to do a gasket for the CB cap and on certain points of sail it would spit water soaking whosever pants were sitting on it. John Welsford suggested cutting the cap short and gluing that part in aft. One would still have to make sure they can angle the CB horizontal under it or they won't be able to install it without clearance below.
- My PT Watercraft hatches all leaked do to the gaskets coming un-glued. It was a late night when I glued them and I did it per instructions but obviously not well enough. Luckily, on meeting Matt Neinow and looking at Peanut, he used Sikaflex to bed those gaskets down. I'll be adding that to my list.

Unbelievable boat. If you are on the fence right now about building one, just do it. You won't be disappointed! Those in build, keep forging on. If you come by Portland, OR I'll take you for a sail and get you pumped up!
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Keith
Great to see you in PT.
A couple of observations.
1. Regarding the aft cleat location. If you move both cleats forward I suggest you move the midship cleats forward as well. The midship cleats are really about spring lines and fenders so location is not so critical. Moving them forward will help balance the location of the three cleats on each side since your moving the aft cleats.
2. I suggest lengthening the boom no more than 6 inches max, that should do it for outhaul tensioning.
3. Stopper knot to keep the mainsheet block from knocking on the deck is a good solution.
4. Another solution for the belly strap when trailering is to cut carpet squares about 4x4" then cut two slits in each and thread your strap through permanently. Position these carpet squares in place on the coaming before tightening down.
5. PT Watercraft hatches are dry if the rubber tubing gasket is properly seated (as you now know). As Russell states the hatches are a bit fiddly to install but if done carefully they are dry. The one place I wouldn't feel so comfortable installing a PT hatch would be on the cockpit sole as jumping in and out of the cockpit would point load them at times. Seat tops and bulkhead #4 are good applications.
6. A bottom gasket will also stop the up flow of water into the trunk. This is one of three good reasons for installing the bottom gasket. With a bottom gasket you get:
a. A faster boat.
b. Less chance of a pebble, coral or other objects lodging in the trunk causing the centerboard to stick when at the beach.
c. Very little water will be washing up into the trunk, which means no top gasket or partial top closure needed.

Keith you did a fantastic job on Zephyr. I was honored to be there for the launch of both Skol and Zephyr. Nice day, great sailing. Today I will be putting Peanut in the water here at the Maritime Center to take SCAMP Camp builders out sailing.

The build is going very well, another great group of folks. Last night we had a group dinner at the Ajax Cafe after a tour of the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock (The Boat School is the organizer of the SCAMP Camps). The laughter and fun was off the charts. SCAMP group builds produce boats but of equal importance they create life long friendships. I am happy to have a tiny part in all this.
Best,
howard

knasman wrote:Wow! What a trip! Thanks to all for the help in launching Zephyr on Saturday. A proud day indeed!

Things that worked out:
- Zephyr: exceeded my expectations in so many ways
- Confirmed sailing all day with four on board was comfortable and fun!
- Those "T-handle" Bomar hatches are indeed watertight. We put two inches of water in the cockpit when washing her out and not a drop went past them.
- The "wet lockers" in the B7-B8 area worked well. I flaked 200ft of 3/8in line and 12ft of chain in there and laid the anchor on top nicely. I just need a quick releasing strap to hold the anchor in case of a capsize. The heavily dewed tarp used for a boom tent was stuffed in the other one. Water bottles and other bits were tossed in there as well.
- Placing the forward cleats abreast of the mast box was about right. I was continually reaching up there for the bow line, when anchoring and when tying off the boom tent. Make sure you can reach yours!

Things that didn't:
- Boom should be 6-10in longer to give more space to the outhaul and tying on the tack.
- My positioning of the aft cleat beyond the coaming. Yes, builders, listen to your elders! It looks damn nice there but hangs up on the mainsheet just like they said. I'll move it forward but then the cleat set looks all funny. Suggestions welcome.
- The mainsheet block that attaches to the traveler knocks on the deck when going downwind with not enough wind to keep it taut. What if I put a stopper knot such that the block would stop before it got over the deck?
- Using a belly strap when trailering took off the paint on the coaming. I'm going with Derek's idea of putting a tie down hole through the aft part of the skeg.
- Forward reefing cleats need to be moved aft so that you can reach them from the cockpit. Mine are set up per the plans. Thanks to Howard on noting this.
- Centerboard slop - I didn't have time to do a gasket for the CB cap and on certain points of sail it would spit water soaking whosever pants were sitting on it. John Welsford suggested cutting the cap short and gluing that part in aft. One would still have to make sure they can angle the CB horizontal under it or they won't be able to install it without clearance below.
- My PT Watercraft hatches all leaked do to the gaskets coming un-glued. It was a late night when I glued them and I did it per instructions but obviously not well enough. Luckily, on meeting Matt Neinow and looking at Peanut, he used Sikaflex to bed those gaskets down. I'll be adding that to my list.

Unbelievable boat. If you are on the fence right now about building one, just do it. You won't be disappointed! Those in build, keep forging on. If you come by Portland, OR I'll take you for a sail and get you pumped up!
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Keith,

Thanks for the summary of your experience with Zephyr. She's a beaut! I especially appreciate your comments on what didn't work so well. It triggered some further good observations from Howard, and I expect others that will benefit those of us who are saying "Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if..........."

I have three Russell Brown hatches in my floor, and I'm confident that they'll withstand any stresses I or my dogs can put on them, but I will likely take your advice and use sikaflex to bed the tubing. Do you know what "flavor" of Sikaflex was used? There are quite a few, and I would like to go with one that has passed some testing.

We visit Portland often from Olympia, and one of my planned excursions is up the Willammette through downtown in my Scamp. Any launch ramp recommendations? Maybe I'll see you there!

Keep enjoying this great summer!
Mike Moore #170 "Tor"