Login | Register

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am

Regular Contributor

Hi Scampers,

while i'm fine with the plans suggestion for the luff- sided reefing lines, i wounder if i can modify the leech reefing lines due to a huddle of loose excess lines. I don't want to mess with that stuff in the cockpit when sailing.

My approach was to have the maximal minimized :?: solution.

Why not have just a simple reefing line lead around the boom through a cleat (to fix the horizontal position) and set with a reef knot?
Just one line, one cleat. Period!

I'd apprechiate your ideas, guys. Does this make sense or did i overlook something?

cheers, Martin

Attachments:
_reefing-idea.jpg
_reefing-idea.jpg [ 31.56 KiB | Viewed 4370 times ]

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Regular Contributor

It seems like you overlooked the outhaul adjustment.

The balance lug sail can be shaped quite well with a dialed in outhaul and downhaul. In my experience It's not a "set it and forget about it" type thing. Pirate crew will fly past you if you're not adjusting your outhaul! (well, Dale and Keith will fly past you. I'll probably be sailing the other way in a distracted manner)

-Derek

Liberty 53

Top Top

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am

Regular Contributor

Hi Derek,
thanks a lot.
I really didn't realized, that this is used to give the sails shape. I must confess, i only sailed some 7/8 - standard- rigs with a fixed foot. :oops:

But there is something i don't really understand: The full sails clew (edge) is fixed to the boom with a loose rope and its tension is adjusted with the outhaul. So the sail just gets more chubby when i loosen the outhaul- that's how all rigs i know worked too (sketch/left side).

But using the reefing cringle as attatchment point for the sail and outhaul at the same time (or did i get you wrong?) this would mean that the reefed sail is flat and the reefing cringle close to the boom with a thight reefing line - similar to the unreefed situation. But giving some reefline away to get a more rounded shape the clew would raise up and blow out leewads which will "open" the sail. Tried to sketch this quickly. Am i right?

Was it possible to do as i suggested first but without the cleat and add a snap hook to the outhaul whis is swaped fom the mains edge to the reefong cringle. Hell, i hope you can understand this- naval Englisch: that's a double foreign- language for me :shock:
I beg your pardon!

cheers, Martin

Attachments:
sailreef.jpg
sailreef.jpg [ 113.85 KiB | Viewed 4343 times ]

Top Top

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 pm

New Contributor

Hi Martin, Derek & other Scampers,
Gig Harbour Boats has a fairly easy jiffy reefing system on the balanced lug for their Scamp & has just put out a rgging guide video for their Scamp that includes their jiffy reefing. See their facebook page to access the video.
Also Derek, I’m interested in any advice you may have on outhaul & downhaul adjustments for sail trimming.
Thanks in advance.

:D

Cheers,

Tony Lang
Scamp 451
Torquay Australia.

Top Top

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:47 am

Regular Contributor

Hi,

thanks for this Information. As i am not on facebook, can you spread the link for this video? or is it only accessible on f****?

Best, Martin

Top Top

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:02 pm

New Contributor

You can find all the info here! https://www.ghboats.com/2019/01/scamp-b ... -tutorial/

Top Top

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:49 am

Regular Contributor

Hi broblodke,

thank you for that link.

This video shows exactly my problem: At minute 25 you can see, how that guy nearly "bites" into the rear reefing line. This (in real life probably wet) line hangs down in the middle of the cockpit and is swinging with ervery tack on your body, in your face, whatever. My approch was to have this line out of my way. Has nobody experienced this when sailing? I can't imagine this position for the rear line is convient!

Maybe it's a good idea just to change the clamp's position for the rear reefing line about 2-3 foot beckwards to get it out of the way.

It's your turn guys, i'm curious what you think...

chers, Martin

Top Top

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 am

Regular Contributor

Martin,
If you don't like the dangling loose ends, the simplest solution is to tie a bit of shockcord loosely around the boom, use a reef knot, then bundle up the loose end neatly and tuck under the shockcord. Instead of shockcord you can use velcro strap, elastic band, bit of string.
Paul

Top Top

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:18 am

Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

good point- why don't do it the easy way. Sometimes i tend to think too complicated! The ironic thing about it is: My intention was to find a more simple solution.

Tanks!
best, Martin

Last edited by bei.beckers on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Reefing on the water while sailing is far different than putting a reef at the dock.

You can only reef underway in a breeze in two ways.

1. Drop the sail rig into the cockpit and tie in the reef, then raise the sail. Your method would work okay in that case.

2. To reef by partially lowering the sail, reefing, then raising the sail back up is the other way. Your method wouldn’t work that way at all well.

Holding the forward or aft end of the boom will power up the sail causing massive careening and control problems with possible capsize. That’s why the reefing lines are led from either end toward the mid part of the boom.

My thoughts

Voyaging with Noddy, #11

Top Top