Transom end cap

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Roux
Regular Contributor

Transom end cap

Post by Roux »

I didn't see any plans for the transom cap in the prints. Is this a fit as needed part?

Pictures for fun! This is a plan build. My cart works great for rolling it outside to sand. I cut up my jig and used the middle section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Editors
Site Admin

Re: Transom end cap

Post by Editors »

Hello,

Your Scamp is looking great!

Re: The Transom Cap, that piece was never included in the plans but we've added it now. An addendum with that part and a few other things was just completed yesterday and I'll post it in a new thread in just a minute.—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
JohnT
Regular Contributor

Post by JohnT »

Other than undeniable good looks, does the transom end cap/aft deck serve any functional purpose? I notice that Scamp #1 has the cap, but the fabled Red Scamp doesn't.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

John, I asked Mike that last night as soon as I could. I thought I knew answer. He left it off deliberately. He said leaving it off made it easier to add the boom gallows he used to lower and rest mast and sails on during the Everglades Challenge. They actually rowed beneath the boom and sails, mast because they could not even have a motor on the Scamp and lowering sails was often necessary but lowering mast is too in some instances.

He said leaving it off also made it simpler/easier to put his little electric trolling motor on the Scamp.

So, just his personal decision. It was on his plans apparently that he had from John Welsford that predated the current SCA plans but not sure if on his SCA plans? We got them in installments I believe then as they were done.

We do have a current set of plans now that we use in showing to prospective Scamp builders, which Mike does a lot, talking to people at boating gatherings.

Love, Jackie Monies (for Mike and the Red Scamp)
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

On #1 we put holes in the transom deck to tie off the mainsheet traveler. I've seen other builders use it to attach gallows or other accessories. I also find it's a very comfortable place to sit/stand when sailing—off the wind especially. Not sure it's a mandatory piece, however. —Josh
SJones
New Contributor

Post by SJones »

My opinion is that structurally the transom is much stiffer with that cap in place and I like that. Without it that very large transom is quite flexible, I think without it you might see signs of stress and future failure of fillets joined to the transom.

Obviously we don't have years and years of experience watching Scamps built with and without that cap, so who is to say whether or not it is indeed needed. Maybe John would chime in on the cap?

I can tell you that it's a bit of a pain in the behind, but a pain I think that is worth it.

Scott
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

I concur with Scott's observation below. I believe the cap is an integral structural component that boxes the transom top thus offering greater overall strength. There is a lot happening with rudder torque in some very specific sailing scenarios, down wave where a wave slams the rudder over or going to the beach through surf when the boat backwashes out and the rudder is put hard over. I would be nervous given these scenarios (however rare) if the boat didn't have a boxed transom top. I have sailed aboard SCAMP's with and without the cap and my recommendation is to add it.

I also happen to find sitting on the transom cap and steering downwind to be very pleasant. The transom cap in my opinion rounds out the design from an aesthetic perspective as well.

There are other/better options for mast support rather than a gallows type support affixed inside the transom. Stay tuned for these options will be forthcoming and posted here.

Respectful to all. I strongly counsel sticking as close to the design as you can during the build process. I have observed a number of detours away from the design and many of these detours add complexity, weight, compromise to her safety features and were perhaps not born of experience sailing SCAMP.

I was out in number one last Sunday morning (post SCAMP Camp) in 39 degree weather, 15+ gusty knot winds, bouncing styrofoam ball hail for about ten minutes, dead calm preceding a wind shift and then a strong new breeze.

I had another fine SCAMP experience in a completely stock boat. At one point I sat down on her cockpit sole, feet up on the coaming so confident in her stability. It was all magic. Simeon spied me out in some good wind headed back in while I was sitting low. He recounted it looked like SCAMP was sailing without a skipper. Thanks for loaning me #1 Josh, I am very fond of her and have logged many miles aboard her over the last three years. Nice design!
howard
SJones wrote:My opinion is that structurally the transom is much stiffer with that cap in place and I like that. Without it that very large transom is quite flexible, I think without it you might see signs of stress and future failure of fillets joined to the transom.

Obviously we don't have years and years of experience watching Scamps built with and without that cap, so who is to say whether or not it is indeed needed. Maybe John would chime in on the cap?

I can tell you that it's a bit of a pain in the behind, but a pain I think that is worth it.

Scott
Last edited by pocketyacht on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Thanks, Scott. It's so darn good-looking I'd like to see it be mandatory anyway :-)