What will(have) you named your SCAMP and Why?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

johnmcneely
Major Contributor

What will(have) you named your SCAMP and Why?

Post by johnmcneely »

I'll go first. #5 "Simon Birch." Most of you might recognize that name from a 1998 Technicolor American comedy-drama film loosely based on A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It featured a young boy with stunted growth who is convinced that God had a great purpose for him. But Actually I named #5 after a wonderful house pet; a great-big, Black, tailless Manx of that same name. He had been in my family for 10 years and was somewhat sedentary. He had enormous fangs; very intimidating. So I didn't realize he was becoming gravely ill. By the time I realized it, he was beyond saving. To honor his memory and to keep his name alive with me for many more years, I named the boat after him. A photo of him as a kitten was placed on the row seat during the unveiling.

~John
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: What will(have) you named your SCAMP and Why?

Post by kenjamin »

Hey John,

Great story about your Manx. I think what Manx cats lack in the tail section, they more than make up for with their rear legs. We had a cat from a Manx litter but he had a tail. I guess he was a half breed or something and he was a terrible cat from what I remember. He would hide in the hall linen closet if the door was left cracked open. Then he would come out and attack family members' ankles as they walked by. His name was Tiger and he well lived up to his name.

My Caledonia Yawl was named Xena because she was battling convention with her birdwing mast so for my SCAMP it was only logical to name her Gabrielle. Here's a picture of Xena being put in at the St. Marks Wildlife Preserve south of Tallahassee, FL, USA.
boatramp-sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Post by johnmcneely »

Am embarrassed to admit I first thought a Birdwing mast was so that you could flip the curved part away 180 degrees so that your sail never had a disadvantaged side.

~John
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

It has a polyethylene lined luff groove and internal hollow tunnels for main halyard and one for the jib halyard. Those are the two lines you see hanging from the mast. The red jib line has to exit the mast at the mast's center of rotation so that its tension does not much effect the free rotation of the mast. I call it a birdwing mast because most all birds have some curvature to the leading edge of their wings. The mast was laminated from about one hundred pieces of straight wood – mostly sitka spruce and douglas fir. It was built in halves so the luff groove and the halyard tunnels could be machined in before the two halves were glued together. It was something of a bear to build but the second one that I'm using on my SCAMP went together a little quicker but it has no tunnel for the jib halyard. I'll have to use an air block to hoist my jib on my SCAMP. At least I remembered to drill for that when the mast had a couple of square sides to it. Laminating wood is just plain fun for me.
dlhurd52
New Contributor

Post by dlhurd52 »

This is my first posting. I am Don Hurd of Annapolis, Maryland and will be the owner of Gig Harbor fiberglass Scamp number seven, hopefully no later than May, 2013.

My Scamp will be named "Stout". Stout's meanings include sturdy and resolute (sout hearted), I think fitting for the boat. Any perceived allusion to a "pint of stout" will also not offend me.

I considered "Tiny", my recently departed Mother's childhood nickname. But to many that might be considered pejorative if you did not know my mother, a very resolute and stout hearted person.

I also half jokingly suggested "Archibald Menzies", the botanist on the Vancouver expedtion. Then I could call it"Archie". My wife said that is way too geeky.

And so we have "Stout". Josh Colvin told me he likes it.

I enjoyed reading about "Simon Birch" since I am a cat lover.

Best Regards to All,
Don
Paul Breeding
Regular Contributor

Post by Paul Breeding »

My SCAMP (#82) will be named "Forever Young" after the Bob Dylan song of the same name. The lyrics provide a road map for the remainder of my years, the title/name is the SCAMP's responsibility to keep me (age 74) forever young. I am building my boat from the plans and have made some cosmetic and convenience modifications to both suit my needs (wants) and to establish my fingerprints on this particular craft. At present it is near completion with a target launch date of February 2013 @ Lake Havasu. This will be my 2nd "Forever Young", the first was a Skiff America 20. Although it was a good design and did everything it was supposed to do, at heart I'm a sailor - one that prefers the wind as the driving force.

Paul Breeding
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

#127 is "little tramp", just how she behaves, getting away with much more than expected, cute, independent, tough...
ZAM
New Contributor

Post by ZAM »

BattleSCAMP Galactica
SCAMP98
New Contributor

Post by SCAMP98 »

My working name at the moment is "Pugnacious". Pug for short. We'll see if the name sticks.

Tony
Scamp #98
JohnT
Regular Contributor

Post by JohnT »

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Piglet from Christopher Robin. A very small animal of generally timid disposition, he tries to be brave and, on occassion, conquers his fears. Other possibilities include: Weebil (Weebils wobble but they don't fall down), Buttercup (trom the Pirates of Pinzance), and Glad Tidings, from the hymn "Oh Zion, Haste".