Login | Register

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 am

Recognized Old Salt

I concur on the sailboatstuff ports. I used 4" and they are nicely done.

simeoniii wrote:
Noddy has 5" ports. Josh's #1 has 4" ports. Not inexpensive in either size but less than the Davies ones from NWMC Chandlery. This is where I got Noddy's:

POLISHED BRONZE ROUND FIXED PORTHOLE (DEAD LIGHT) Highly polished deadlight. Removable locking ring for easy glass replacement. Designed with heavy-duty laminated safety glass. Optional Finish Ring for the reverse side is available. Finished in Polished Bronze. Fasteners not included

http://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_fix_porthole_deadlight_deck_prism.html

Daniel Volonakis, the small business owner of Sailboatstuff (Sherman Oaks, CA) is a really good guy and bends over backwards with customer service.

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:01 am

Regular Contributor

Jeff -

If you want round, non-opening ports, I would follow Simeon's advice and buy from Sailboatstuff.

Port Townsend Foundry has at least 15-20 patterns for bronze trim rings--round or oval. These are wooden (usually plywood) patterns made by the foundry or in some cases by customers, so the company does not typically stock many pre-cast trim rings. Customers just ask for, say, an 8-inch round trim ring and the staffers trudge upstairs to the Pattern Room, find something suitable, and start from scratch to cast the number of pieces ordered. Prices vary according to size; there isn't a standard available-to-the-public price list, but the key here is that you're on your own to come up with glass, Lexan or whatever for your ports, figure out how to keep water out, etc. You're just buying a trim ring--not an assembled portlight.

I went through PT Foundry's entire collection of wooden trim-ring patterns two weeks ago, and didn't find anything quite suitable for a SCAMP…so I'm fashioning my own oval pattern. I think the cost to cast them will be around $40-$50 each, but that's a guess based on past experience--not an exact quote.

Port Townsend Foundry also produces heavier, fancy, traditional opening portlights, intended for much bigger boats. You don't want to spend that much (trust me!), and they're simply more weight, cost and complexity than anyone needs on a little SCAMP cabinside.

So, if you want round, Simeon's got the best answer.

- Marty Loken / Norseboater / SCAMP #287

Top Top

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:28 am

Regular Contributor

Jeff (again) -

I just noticed this eBay auction of Sailboatstuff's 4-inch bronze trim rings--a good Buy It Now price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABI-FIXED-PORTH ... 4150707443

- Marty (Norseboater) - #287

Top Top

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 am

Recognized Old Salt

For cheap, durable and very light portlights, it's hard to beat Lexan with homemade rings. These rings where made from very high end 7-ply Sapelle. Okume would have been lighter. If the Lexan gets scratched up, just back out those screws and slap in a new piece of Lexan. I used 3/16" thick Lexan and that seemed to be about right for my usage. Maybe they're not as pretty as bronze but a heck of a lot lighter.

Attachment:
GabriellePorthole.jpg
GabriellePorthole.jpg [ 208.2 KiB | Viewed 1720 times ]

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:23 am

Regular Contributor

I did the same thing with the ports, making them out of wood. There are abrasion resistant lexans available, that really does resist scratching. I really like your color combination.

Top Top

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:32 pm

Regular Contributor

Thanks all for the advice. I had been eyeing the sailboatstuff ones, but resisting the price.

Since I like the look of the bronze, that's probably the direction I'll head.

PTPuffin #284
Aug 2014 SCAMP Camp
http://building284.blogspot.com

Top Top

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:48 pm

New Contributor

My future Scamp will be named "Nunki Too".
Too is for Two as this will be my second Nunki and Nunki is a star (Sigma Sagittarii), the closest to New Caledonia zenith, in fact culminatting not too far in the South of New Caledonia.

Top Top

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Major Contributor

ImageLuna, washed down after a good sail by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

I think the 5" are the perfect size, proportionate to the boat, and many others have also used that size. Mine, like Simeon's, are from sailboatstuff… I didn't bother getting the inside trim ring, to save a bit of cash, and think they look fine without.

"storing a Gartside, and sailing Luna" #162!
dalesimonson.ca | photos on Flickr

Top Top

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 am

Regular Contributor

As I get closer to completion of #299, the issue of a name begins to 'come to the fore' (as they say). I've always liked boat names that have something to do with a characteristic of the vessel. Marty's "Fat Bottom Girl" and Rick's "Red Eye" come to mind. During this gestational period, having recently applied the first fill coat on the bottom, my little scamp's working title, subject to change until further notice, will be "Drips and Runs". --Will.

Top Top

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Your boat will tell you her name the first time she answers you back...

It's a subtle whisper that will grow louder, like the soft sounds of the wavelets on the shore as the slack builds to the flood

Don't rush her as all good things, like your build, take time

Enjoy!

Voyaging with Noddy, #11

Top Top