SCAMP builds underway

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP builds underway

Post by Monies »

Photos of parking lot rigging of Scamp. All the wonderful hardware is from our co-sponsor Duckworks and the sails from PolySail International.

The boat is on its way for inspection!

Jackie Monies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

great to see another SCAMP ready for the water.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

In which locker will the dog ride? ;-)
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Dickens sat patiently in van while waiting for Mike and Andrew all day.
Mike says he will tow him as fish bait behind with his fluffy tail but Andrew loves dogs and has made friends. He says Dickens is a perfect size for a Scamp dog!

By the way, Scamp is on the beach and we are tired and off to bed except for Mike and Andrew who are off in search of a Walmart. More photos and news tomorrow!

Jackie Monies
Richard N
New Contributor

Post by Richard N »

Sorry to be coming into this thread so late, I'm hoping someone will be able to answer a quick question for me. In the photo below showing the ballast tank, what is the coating that has been applied? Is is just black paint on epoxy or something specific to water ballast tanks? Does the color help to prevent algae growth?

Everything looks amazing by the way, I'm very impressed with the rapid progress and SCAMP is very high on my list of design considerations. I'll be watching her progress in the EC intently.

Regards
Richard

Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

It is black graphite added to epoxy. Mike believes it will make the water ballast tank darker and inhibit algae growth (he hopes!) His inspection port for the tank allows a little light in and he was afraid to leave it white and grow algae. It is also extremely slick and he hopes that keeps critters from clinging to walls.

Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

I have more photos and will post shortly. I just erased my entire EC Scamp report and must do over!

Jackie
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

LAST PARKING LOT BUILD PHOTOS. Note the truck with mobile boat building shop. Jackie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

MORE photos to come this afternoon. Jackie
julie
Regular Contributor

Post by julie »

Just wanted to give you guys a huge thank you for documenting your build and your adventures with your SCAMP. There's been a bit of chatter regarding the kits vs. plans and I can't help but think that this thread could be very useful for any type of builder. I find myself pouring through this thread about once a week, and I learn something new each time.