SCAMP builds underway

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Re: SCAMP builds underway

Post by Editors »

More photos....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

This is a continuation of my step-by-step construction guide: Mike Monies

STEP FIVE; I laminated the bottom out of two layers of plywood which had been cut in such a way as to stagger the area where the joints would fall. I put the first layer on the curved jig and made sure that a cross brace was located directly under the joint on both layers. These were covered with plastic packaging tape to prevent glueing the bottom to the jig.

I turned what would be the top layer over on the jig and drew in the location of the jig sides and cross braces. Later, I would use these lines to locate my nails to attach the two layers to the curved jig. Both surfaces to be joined were painted with straight epoxy and then thickened epoxy was applied to the bottom layer and the two were nailed and clamped together.

Three days later when I removed the nails and clamps the bottom did not move at all and kep a perfect curve. When I later cut the centerboard hole I was able to confirm a perfect laminationate.

STEP SIX; With the bottom on the jig I started attaching the stem and bulkheads.

The doubler on the bottom of each bulkhead had to be beveled to fit the bottom curve of the boat. All the beveling was done on the tablesaw with a beveling fence. I used a bevel gauge to set the bevel of each bulkhead and then set the tablesaw. The same bulkhead for both boats were cut before moving on to the next bulkhead. As each bulkhead was finished, I clamped it in place to the bottom. Once bulkheads 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 were done I clamped #1 to the stem and then clamped #8 on at the correct angle.

Now I could run a batten from stem to stern where each plank would go so I could determine the bevel at each bulkhead. Now each bulkhead was unclamped and taken to the tablesaw to cut the bevel in the side doublers where the plank would land. Each side of the bulkhead was beveled for that plank for both boats. This process had to be repeated three times for each bulkhead.

STEP SEVEN; With all the bulkheads clamped on the bottom and beveled, it was time to fit the fore and aft stringer for the cockpit floor and seats. Each of the four floor stringers had to be notched where they crossed the bulkheads. As each piece was cut to fit I made a duplicate for the second boat. All parts were dry fitted with screws.

STEP EIGHT; I could now locate the area for the centerboard case hole and cut it out. I laminated the centerboard case sides out of two layers of ply. The layer on the inside of the case was cut 12 mm longer to stick down through the hole and cover the raw edge of the bottom plywood. The shorter outside layer will rest on top of the bottom ply and help support the weight of the case.

STEP NINE; I took out all the screws and bullnosed all the parts that need it. I then drilled holes through the bottom under the bulkheads for the screws that will go into the bottom bulkhead doublers. I then applied epoxy and re-screwed all the parts.

These steps represent one full weeks work on the two boats and brings you up to date on where I am.

Mike Monies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

This is the Wednesday, December 22 report from Mike that continues the steps in the build so far.

Step 10: Time to install the centerboard case. This is a multi-step process because the inside has to be coated with epoxy and graphite. I started by installing the cockpit side of the case, which also included the starboard side seat
front, on the boat. Then the two cypress end logs and the cypress case top were attached to the boat.

Now I dry fitted the outboard side of the centerboard case. Then I had to take it off so I could attach the short part of bulkhead #5 which has to be screwed on from inside the case.

Before the case can be assembled for the final time, I will have to fill all the screw holes, fillet the seams, and apply three coats of epoxy and graphite to all inside surfaces.

Step Eleven: The centercase forms the starboar side of the water ballast tank. I had to install a portside piece. The tank will get the same epoxy and graphite treatment on the inside as the centerboard case.

I am making a removable hatch top for this tank so I can get at it if I ever need to. This hatch will be beaded with silicon and screwed down.

Step Twelve: I have to cut the port side seat face and all of the cockpit floor parts for both boats. My cockpit floor will be laminated out of two layers of the plywood. Before it can be installed the underside of the floor, as well as the bottom of the boat and the part of the bulkheads under the floor will have to be painted.

The entire inside of the boats will get three coats of oil based primer and three coats of oil based paint. I will start this process before installing the side planks so I can reach some of the tight spots.

We will post more photos soon and additional updates.

Mike Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

It's Christmas Eve day here in Oklahoma and Mike has taken the day off to clean his Boat Palace shop. He says it has become a fire hazard due to all the saw dust floating around, so he is vacumning and dusting.

He has been working on the seat fronts on the Scamp hull and trying to get the last of the cutting of pieces done. I asked him how many hours he had put in cleaning, as he is not counting that in his build time log. He told me that you should spend at least 10% of your time cleaning, so for each 20 hours you should spend at least two hours cleaning.

We have done nothing but build Scamps for the last five weeks, so I went out and put a Christmas tree and some wreathes up on the Scamp hull to decorate for him.
He was listening to carols and working away.

So, here are holiday greetings from Mike, Ashes the boat cat, the Scamps and me!

You know you want one, too, and hope Santa will bring you a Scamp in your stockings!

Merry Christmas from Oklahoma! Mike and Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Merry Christmas from the four of us, Mike, Ashes, Jackie and the Scamp!
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Merry Christmas Mike and Jackie! Thanks for the updates—keep it up.

Best,
SCA Crew
g-man
New Contributor

Scamp builds

Post by g-man »

Merry Christmas to all!
To the Monies, Thanks for sharing your build & looking forward to seeing the end result and watching you in the Everglades Challenge.
Happy Holiday's
Gregg
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

It's Monday night, December 27 and Mike is back out in the Boat Palace undercoating the insides of the first Scamp. This will require three coats of the undercoat, then three coats of the glossy oil enamel he uses. Most of the area he is painting will not be visible but he says it is absolutely essential because of the protection of the woods from water/moisture. It is much easier to do this before you put on the side planks, as some areas would be difficult or almost impossible to reach.

With the white undercoat the hull is starting to look like a bleached skeleton of a large fish or perhaps a sun bleached boat hulk (I have a vivid imagination!)

He has coated the water ballast tank with epoxy/graphite and I asked why? He said it helped prevent algae forming on the sides of the tank. He also graphited the centerboard casing insides but I know that one. He believes the epoxy-graphite helps make it slicker and slide more easily up and down.

Everything is taped throughout the boat with blue masking tape, to keep the areas that must be epoxied/glued clean and unpainted. If you do not do this, the paint or other things like epoxy will prevent the woods from bonding when you "glue and screw" the pieces together to join them.

He has cut and fitted the cockpit bottoms, seat sides and the centerboard casings, as they must be painted also where they form the "inside" portion of the hull. It is like painting the boat from the inside /outward. I looked at how much painting there was and asked if when he finished this, would there be much painting left to do on the hull. He replied it was about 50-50.

I will get him to do a step by step for everyone to where we left off the last time.
Am sending photos to Josh to post for me.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Here are the photos. Thanks, Jackie!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

It is Wednesday night and Mike has been undercoating with oil based primer for a couple days the insides of the first hull. He has finally gotten three coats on all the parts and begun to paint the oil based enamel tonight. He got one coat on, each coat requires at least 24 hours to dry before he can apply another.

He says he will take more photos tomorrow, as it is starting to "look painted."

He says the painting part goes so slowly you think you will never finish!

Lots of small, hard to get to corners down there.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)