SCAMP builds underway

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP builds underway

Post by wdscobie »

Sailhavasu wrote:I appreciate your faith in me based on the Dauntless "should have hired a marine surveyor incident!" hahaha
if anyone really thought about the cost to own a boat, :shock: , one would never make the purchase. you did good by DAUNTLESS as she should not have just been sitting unused (really bothers me that a boat isn't cared for or used), or 'given up on' and lost for all time. the Mboats are special ... your short period of putting her up for sale (what was it, 3 or 4 days?) being one example.
Sailhavasu wrote:How about you??? Are you thinking of building one?
there has been part of me wanting to build a boat for about 30 years. i even purchased a full set of plans for a 15' boat along the lines of a potter 14/15. never did start, i'm sure my folks were glad of that, and i gave the plans to a friend of my mother when i left for college. he did build the boat, though i never saw the craft.

i have the time right now, being unemployeed, but no money for all the supplies needed. anyway, SWEET PEA keeps me busy with tasks :lol:
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Mike is continueing with cutting pieces but now has all the bulkheads cut out and is starting to add dimensional lumber. He says this is the tedious part but absolutely essential to the build.

One thing he commented was that in doing two boats, he can make the same cuts twice and does not have to reset his saw angles each time, thereby saving a little time.

He completed Bulkhead #5 and its dimensional lumber, all is epoxied up for both boats and only bullnosing the edges remains. I asked if it was to be enclosed and not visible why he filled and bullnosed? The answer is that paint does not stick well to sharp edges and the bullnosing with a router gives better bonding of paint.

He only left the Boat Palace for brief breaks, lunch and dinner, still out there at 10:20 p.m. I had to go look for Ashes, the boat cat. I reminded him he might notice the cat or wife?

Sawdust, Jackie Monies
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Here are a few photos from the start of the build. If anyone has questions or wants a specific photo taken, let us know.

Jackie Monies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

More photos coming.
scampframe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

A few more photos.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Scamp photos continue:
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Friday night report, Mike only worked 5 hours Thanksgiving day, took the afternoon off. He has laminated both stems, both rudders, ready to pour the lead in rudder openings, has both centerboards cut ready to laminate, has fitted and glued up the dimensional lumber on three sets of two (for the two boats) on 3 bulkheads, has cut and fitted more bulkheads, including the transom and bow bulkheads. He is about ready to start putting pieces of hull together he says hopefully this weekend.

No malls or shopping, he is on a short time deadline to have both boats completed with only 93 days to latest acceptable day to finish.

Will have more photos to post tomorrow of progress.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Only 5 hours on Thanksgiving? Talk about taking it easy ;-)

Building two SCAMPs on this short schedule is truly amazing. If Nike hadn't already trademarked "Just Do It," we'd have to make it Mike's new slogan. Keep it up!

There will be two more SCAMPs under construction here in Port Townsend at the Northwest Maritime Center's "Build a SCAMP Class" beginning the first week of December. It's an intensive two-week program starting from SCAMP kits, so those two boats (sail numbers 6 and 13) should be well along by the middle of next month.

A couple more kits and quite a few sets of plans ship next week as well, so that national SCAMPing rendezvous is looking more and more likely.—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

From Mike: After 8 days and 67 1/4 hours of actual build time I am very pleased with the progress I have made so far. I have built and added dimensional reinforcing lumber to 2 sets (for two boats) of all eight bulkheads (which includes the bow and transom). This required the cutting, dry fitting and glueing with epoxy and s/s screws of 240 individual pieces.

In addition I have laminated up two complete stems and two rudder blanks, including pouring lead into the two rudders. I have filled all the screw holes in the bulkheads and started sanding them in preparation for installing them on the boat.

For purposes of this build I am keeping records of "build hours" and "shop hours" because I am not counting in the build the time I spend cleaning the shop, putting away tools, or milling my rough cypress into usuable lumber. This time would add about 10% more to the build time if included.

We will put up some addditional photos tomorrow of the bulkheads, pouring lead and milling lumber.

Mike Monies
David2249
Regular Contributor

Post by David2249 »

Hi Mike

I notice you use a jigsaw for cutting out the patters and bulkheads. I was thinking of using a bandsaw which I think would be easer but I already have a jigsaw.

Regards

David