Login | Register

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 am

Recognized Old Salt

Hi Brian,

Mike laminated and doubled the bottom, both sides of the centerboard trunk, cockpit floor, seat tops and hatches, the seat backrests. He is laminating additional support for the transom. He said the rudders, centerboard, rudder cheek, stem are all multiple laminations to get the thickness required.

He framed all the bulkheads with air dried cypress which is a light wood.

We are hoping for a lighter weight boat primarily because of the Everglades Challenge launching and portaging requirements.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 am

Regular Contributor

Thanks, Jackie (and Mike) for that information. Brian

Top Top

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Thursday here in Oklahoma, mid-afternoon, sun is shining and the snow and ice is melting, but still very cold. Mike got up to the Boat Palace being below freezing again. He won't run the gas heater overnight, thinks it is too dangerous to do so.

He does, however, have a warm spot inside, as he took over about half of my sunroom/laundry room to work in (big space). He has been glassing the centerboards and rudders, doing all four at one time. He has applied epoxy and a layer of fiberglass cloth, today is putting kevlar on all the leading edges. He says he has to keep remembering to use the tin sheers to cut the kevlar, he can't get used to fabric that won't cut with scissors!

This is first use of kevlar for Mike, idea is to protect the edges of the foils from collisions with oyster reefs, rocks, etc.

He has not yet put any filler on the glass cloth other than the epoxy it was applied with. That comes next.

His other major project this week was to fit the seats for the first hull. This has to be custom fitted to each boat, can't be prefabricated, so the second hull seats could not be done at same time. No two hulls will be totally identical on this which is precise measurements.

With all the extreme cold, the epoxy mixes all live inside with central heat, come in at night!

I will be sending photos to SCA to post for me of Mike and the foils, where the hull is right now.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)

Top Top

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 am

Site Admin

Photos from Jackie. —Eds

Attachments:
Scamps 011.jpg
Scamps 011.jpg [ 192.99 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 12-30-10 008.jpg
Scamp Foils 12-30-10 008.jpg [ 240.39 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 008.jpg
Scamp Foils 008.jpg [ 212.75 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 005.jpg
Scamp Foils 005.jpg [ 189.68 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 004.jpg
Scamp Foils 004.jpg [ 174.55 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 003.jpg
Scamp Foils 003.jpg [ 168.33 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 002.jpg
Scamp Foils 002.jpg [ 201.56 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
Scamp Foils 001.jpg
Scamp Foils 001.jpg [ 203.56 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:42 am

Recognized Old Salt

Saturday morning and have just taken new photos of the hull for Josh to put on this site. She now really looks like a boat!

Mike says this is the biggest twelve foot boat he has ever seen! She is so high sided I can barely peek over the gunnels as she sits on the building jig, which is in itself very low. I tried to reach my arm down into the lockers to see if I could reach with a paint brush- I cannot but Mike can.

Yesterday he got the third planks on both sides, so you can now see just how beamy and high sided she is. On her side planks he used a combination of screw and glue, along with stitch and glue with electricians plastic ties. In the photos you will notice that there are screws, stainless, which will stay there permanently, along with the plastic ties, which get cut off. He is filleting the inside seams throughout the side lockers.

He also finished fitting the seat tops, got the deck supports put in behind the seats, and did some reinforcing in the stern bulkhead where he will someday put a motor on her.

During the Everglades Challenge she must be motorless, so he isn't actually putting a motor mount on at this time but later he will add a small motor.

We are waiting for a friend to arrive to help us turn her but Mike plans to turn her early next week and move her to another area in shop, start the second hull on the building jig. As he has done most of his cutting for the second hull, she is mostly kitted and should go faster.

If anyone is hesitating to start this boat as a "mere twelve feet" do not let that concern you! This is a big boat! I can't wait to see her with the veranda enclosed and the cabin top on. I have been on boats that were longer on the waterline but did not have nearly the cockpit space or storage that this boat has.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)

Top Top

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 am

Recognized Old Salt

Mike has been pushing to finish the filets inside the side storage compartments (formed by the inside of the side planks) and epoxying all the joints and seams of the side planks that are inside "hidden" areas.
We have a friend coming to help Mike turn her so he can work on bottom and move hull #1 from the building jig to some sawhorses. Then he will start putting hull #2 together this week.

He just totalled his work hours on Hull #1 last night and at the end of week eight he has put in 358.75 hours, which includes cutting and prep work on hull #2 as well. His total for the week is 49.75 hours. (We lost a few days when my mom was in hospital, also when we had to drive to Houston and to take his mom to hospital in Oklahoma City, OK) So except for some unusual circumstances, he has put in excess of 40 hours per week, every week. Often more like 48-50 hours per week, consistently.

Honestly, he is feeling a bit down that he is not further along at this point, feels he is not going fast enough. I asked him this morning if there were enough hours left to finish both boats? I am the one who watches the clock that ticks away over on the WaterTribe site, where they count down the launch time by the minute, like NASA! He says there is enough time, which I hope is true, because I keep multiplying the day he MUST leave by to even get both boats to Florida and I get nervous for both of us!

On a more upbeat note, we were going to sleep the other night, he is looking at photos of the first Scamp being built and he has a magnifying glass looking at her stern details in the magazine photos. He says "That is one beautiful paint job" and admiring her glossy gelco like finish, I comment that it was done by a woman painter but the preparation of the wood of course is so important. Mike then says, "You can see the photographer's feet reflected in the finish! I have never seen a paint job that high gloss!"

So, he is despairing of even getting a paint finish anywhere near as perfect! I will just be happy to get paint on them at all!

Jackie Monies (for Mike)

Top Top

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 am

Recognized Old Salt

Here are a few more photos of hull #1 showing her last planks on sides, bottoms of cockpit being fitted with last boards.

Jackie Monies

Attachments:
Scamp+Hull+003.jpg
Scamp+Hull+003.jpg [ 62.31 KiB | Viewed 3413 times ]
Scamp+Hull+009.jpg
Scamp+Hull+009.jpg [ 53.63 KiB | Viewed 3413 times ]
Scamp+Hull+001.jpg
Scamp+Hull+001.jpg [ 17.32 KiB | Viewed 3413 times ]

Top Top

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

Recognized Old Salt

More hull photos of Scamp #1. Jackie

Attachments:
Scamp+Hull+010.jpg
Scamp+Hull+010.jpg [ 62.41 KiB | Viewed 3412 times ]
Scamp+Hull+006.jpg
Scamp+Hull+006.jpg [ 54.97 KiB | Viewed 3412 times ]
Scamp+Hull+001.jpg
Scamp+Hull+001.jpg [ 61.12 KiB | Viewed 3412 times ]

Top Top

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Here are more photos of the Scamp #1 hull with her side planks on and most of the cockpit done.

The next group is from tonight, a most important event, the turning of the hull! The Scamp #1 hull was hung in her harness, the jig moved out from under her and the jig moved to another location in the Boat Palace to start the assembly of the Scamp #2 hull.

Hull # 1 has been turned and put on saw horses in order to work on her bottom and the side panels, get her ready for bottom epoxy and graphite, then paint the sides of the hull before turning her a second time. There will be a lot of steps and work in between first and second turning but tonight marked a major milestone in her build.

This is still one big little boat!

Jackie Monies (for Mike)

Attachments:
Scamp+Turning+Hull+002.jpg
Scamp+Turning+Hull+002.jpg [ 74.54 KiB | Viewed 3383 times ]
Scamp+Turning+Hull+001.jpg
Scamp+Turning+Hull+001.jpg [ 56.19 KiB | Viewed 3383 times ]
Scamp+Hull+004.jpg
Scamp+Hull+004.jpg [ 66.63 KiB | Viewed 3383 times ]

Top Top

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:38 pm