Trying to get a SCAMP to capsize

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Tim
Regular Contributor

Trying to get a SCAMP to capsize

Post by Tim »

At the Small Craft Academy, Howard was to demonstrate the capsize and recovery of SCAMP. Without the aid of much wind, it was very very difficult :shock: , that is to get it to capsize :D

Here is John and Howard making the SCAMP ready;

And here is a series where Howard is literally jumping up and down on the gunnel trying to get it to go;

After finally getting it over a simple pull on the other side rights it.

Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Trying to get a SCAMP to capsize

Post by Monies »

Hi Tim,

Those are really nice photos. The Scamp Envy thread is still going strong over on Wooden Boat Forum. Perhaps you can post these there, as I just finished catching up reading that thread a few minutes ago.

They are saying more particularly nice things about the Scamp and the Scamp Camp over there. Wish we could have been with you all.

Love, Jackie Monies
Tim
Regular Contributor

Post by Tim »

Jackie, I am on the road right now and would be difficult to get those onto WB Forum. I am on my way to Desolation Sound. If you want to take those links (they are on my PBase site) and post them over there feel free.

Tim
dndrich
Regular Contributor

Post by dndrich »

Hey Tim, nice photos! I was with Tim at the academy, and just got home. Sadly, I could not go on the optional cruise after. Tim is right, it was hilarious watching Howard try to capsize SCAMP. He just couldn't get it to go. Finally he managed, and she just popped right back up. He then had another sailor from our camp out there so she could experience a capsize. Both of them had some difficulty capsizing the boat. She finally sort of went over, and they mostly fell out of the boat into the water while SCAMP sat right back up without help.

The next day John Welsford was bringing some folks from the harbor back to the beach. There were 5 good sized folks in SCAMP, and the boat was not even down to the waterline. Truly amazing.
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA